I suffer with health anxiety, but it's taking over my life.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I always start freaking out that I have some type of cancer or illness. I can't seem to get it out of my head and it plays with my mind. I've had bloodwork done recently and everything came back normal. Right now my biggest fear is a brain tumor. I google all kinds of symptoms and then I start to have them. A lot of it has to do with my sinuses and my anxiety. I just feel so alone. I want to feel normal and anxiety free. Does anyone else ever worry so much that it takes over their life? I know I'm tumor/cancer free because it told me in my blood work that their was no cancer. I just want to get rid of this anxiety.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That's just what health anxiety is,focusing on health and no matter what reassurance we get it makes no difference. The problem is the health issues or what we imagine them to be isn't actually the issue,they can't be resolved until the root anxiety is dealt with. The health anxiety is just a symptom. My sinuses too are a concern for me,especially a lump in the the throat feeling. I know its all anxiety, but knowing that doesn't stop the worry. I'm heading back into therapy soon, hoping that'll help manage things a bit,meds are useless for resolving anxiety, they are only to help with the symptoms,even then they don't always do anything to help
  • Posted

Yes you just described me to the fullest. It feels like I have a deadly disease but I know it's just my anxiety. Have had plenty of Drs visits, been to the hospital 100 times all type of blood wrk and ekgs and also CT scans and nothing has been found everything is normal.
    • Posted

Everything is physically normal often with health anxiety,its the anxiety that's the issue,not the physical symptoms
  • Posted

I get these symptoms to, it's anxiety, I feel as if there's some serious health problems with me, but nothing is wrong. Try and do some meditation, exercise, it does help me a lot.
  • Posted

Of course you do. I know you don't want to hear this but my Dad, Sister and Mum died of Brain tumours, so like you I have feared the worst! Not gna happen! Even if it does you are ruining your life with worrying, I no it is not easy but do u (live me me) want to spend the rest of your life in that shadow? I no I don't. We have no idea what is ahead of us, no one has! How about you and I keep in touch and get on with it? X

• Posted

Aww grace I so sympathise with you.I have very bad health anxiety and always think I have cancer. It literally ruins my life. I Google constantly, I have had every kind of cancer there is. All I want is my old life back.this sucks big time. No one understands unless they also suffer with this terrible illness. Anxiety! Take card and big hugs x
  • Posted

First you have to realise that it is just thoughts, not reality. Easier said than done I know. If it wasn't a brain tumour it would be something else because they are just thoughts that create an adrenaline rush in your body which makes it feel real. When this happens try to replace the fear with a positive such as "it's just a thought and can't harm me" I no this doesn't sound helpful but if you can do it long enough it becomes automatic and calms the fear. Good luck Hun xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.