I suffer with intense tension migraines. Someone please give me advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is my story. For the past 3 years now I've been suffering with the most crippling chronic head pains. I get this super tight band behind my eyes, in my eyebrows, all up the side of my face, my jaw and all around the top of my head. It feels like someone has my face muscles in a clamp and is twisting it tighter and tighter leaving no muscle at it's mercy. I went to see a neurologist and he diagnosed me with cluster headaches which at the time didn't seem right as I was researching about headaches and it said cluster headaches were in one eye not both so I was confused as to why he gave me this diagnoses. So for almost a year I took amitriptyline for these headaches and they helped to no avail so after months of complaining and going to see gp's only for them to literally say to my face there is not much help besides having an oxygen tank which the neurologist didn't give me anyway. I pleaded for months to have access to one and they kept telling me it was hard to get one so I went on in complete agony for days on end. I burst out crying in front of the gp. A 23 year old being told that this is my f***g future. What future? No future, no cure. So I went off on my own and sought out the help of an actual headache expert. The verdict? Chronic migraines. Still super mindbendingly painful but nothing like the pain of a cluster headache considered the worst pain alive. Worse than childbirth they say. She was completely baffled how a neurologist of all people could come to that conclusion. And frankly so was I. All the misdiagnosis and curl-in-a-burl with nothing to but cry pain made me depressed and anxious so she put me on mirtazapine to not only help with the aforementioned ailments but also reduce the pain by "50 %." I was relieved that after all of the being f****d about I met a doctor that truly seemed to "know her st" and was met with someone who generally cared about my wellbeing. It was a miracle to say the least. However, don't let that you think I lived happily ever after just yet. The mirtazapine was working great and had reduced my pain a great deal. The only thing was before I started the drug I was 13 stone (I'm 6ft so pull it off) and since 3 months I've shooted up to 17 stone. As a girl this has really affected my self esteem. I have one meal a day, exercise daily, drink matcha green tea and water constantly and hardly snack. It makes no sense whatsoever. Something to do with hormones I believe. I'm starting to taper off now from 30mg to 15mg but I know at some point soon the heavy heroin addict esque withdrawals will kick in forcing me incapable of living a normal, quality life. Does anyone know of any medication that will help these head pains but also not make me put on weight? Can anyone suggest me some ways to combat the pain and possibly become drug free? My jaw is really out of place and locks so tight. Does anyone think the headaches are related to that? I plan to see a chiropracter as soon as they are open again so we'll see. I've also noticed that the pains occur when there's an occurring knot under my left shoulder blade. Could that be a cause of the pain or could it be from the pain itself?

I hope I haven't overwhelmed anyone with all the questions and I hope I haven't offended anyone with my swearing but sometimes a curse word can really help how you express yourself otherwise I'd see no point in them existing haha.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.