i suffer with TN for the last 5 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

The issue i have now because i can rarely brush my teeth because of the pain not even rinse, my gums are painful m woried i will loose my teeth, dentist out of question ,needle !?with this pain any advice please what else i may do to fix my gums

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

This is also one of my biggest worries.  An earlier TN discussion talks about 'eating through' the pain.  Several of us have experienced that when the pain strikes, if you then either eat or brush your teeth during the pain, and in your case brush your teeth like mad, the pain can actually lesson.  Therefore, instead of treading carefully go in with the full whammy so to speak and you may be surprised.  It's worth giving it a go.

I also use an antiseptic mouth wash, even if I just hold it in there for a minute without rinsing it arounnd my mouth.

Trouble is I've just chipped my crown that has left a bit of a gap/hole and have a big temporary filling that is now 2 and a half years old (the last dentist visit).  My teeth also need a really good clean.  I suppose we have a good arguement to be put to sleep to have any treatment done and perhaps have this done via the NHS and not your local private dentist??  No dentist is putting his hand in my mouth at the moment unless I'm asleep!

I have MVD at Kings in 2 weeks and if it is successful I have told my partner that a trip to the dentist is the first thing I will book, plus laser whitening!!

Try asking your GP about hospital treatment, I'll be interested in their reply.

Regards, Marie

• Posted

Marie,

Thank you for your advice but trying to brush when the pain strike just thinking about it scares me when i have the attacks i literally freeze,i can tell you are braver than i am, my attacks has become stronger and longer for each strike

The point which realy i wanted to get to with my teeth is the treatment from the NHS i was lucky enough to visit my dentist last year after having no pain for few months ,but now i think they remove me of their register so if my gums worsen i expect my GP to refer me to hospital because he knows the reason which led to gums condition

But of course the only contact with GP regarding TN is repeat proscription,fill the fom and leave it in the box

Lyes

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. My TN started with a gun in
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your pain. My TN started with a gum infection after a hygienist did a routine clean. My advise is to clear your gum issue quickly so you don't damage your teeth, you need anti bio's to sort infections. I had two lots of anti bio's before it cleared up. I was prescribed Tegretol and it changed my life. It's working for me. I did take co codemol in between attacks.

The Tegretol needs time to work and if you can deal with some side effects they too disappear whilst your body adjusts. Roughly 3/6 mths. This is an awful condition but 10 months down the line I'm so much better. Still can't bite down on my jaw and have to keep my top and bottom jaw apart with my tongue. It's damaged one of my large molars. I lost a lot of weight as I couldn't eat. Find a medication that works and stick with it.

You can beat this by finding a way to manage it. My view is diabetics have to inject daily to survive. I have to take Tegretol to stay pain free and cope. You do what you have to.

Good luck and take each day as it comes. High five yourself mentally after each day that you manage. A positive mind really helped me and I refuse to let TN control my life. You can do it 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.