I suppose it’s arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

The first finger on my left hand is showing the sign of arthritis a bit deformed but I am experiencing moments of extreme stabs of pain. i can only describe it as a hot needle stabbing and then s burning pain. It comes without warning and the settles down for a few hours. my worry is that it will affect the fingers and thumb of both hands eventually and wonder if anyone can offer any assistance as to how i can stop this painful condition and if this is the way arthritis progresses.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is quite likely it's OA. I have it in both thumb joints so I really sympathise about the pain issue. I've found really good relief by using ginger - I mince up or grate fresh ginger and mix it with hand cream and rub it all over the joints. I then put on a pair of thin cotton gloves and leave it on overnight. By the next morning the inflammation has really dropped and the pain much relieved. Makes the skin feel nice too as an added benefit.

• Posted

First you need to see a rheumatologist because there are a lot of different types of arthritis. For example rheumatoid arthritis frequently begins in the hands but it is treated entirely different then osteoarthritis. Or you could have developed a trigger finger which can be resolved with a simple procedure. I suggest you take something like aspirin or ibuprofen to help relieve the inflammation and put ice on it for 20 minutes several times a day.

• Posted

Hi Bianca, So yes, there are different types of arthritis, but, it can be due to specific injuries....you can get arthritis in a specific joint, not necessarily progressive but, as you get older, your joints can start to ache, not necessarily all of them, there are different types of joints, some are weight bearing, so there are some variables, it can come with some general aches and pains. Anti-inflammatories can help but, always check with your DR. esp. if you have other medical issues or take medications...you can try ice(it helps with swelling but, can cause stiffness).... heat (can help with relaxing the muscles and the stiffness and aching but, not really for swelling) you can alternate for 15 min at a time, there are topical anti-inflammatories (Aspercreme, Diclofenac and etc...)that don't go through your digestive system so less stomach side effects, if you use heat, BEFORE the cream, AFTER the meds, it increases blood flow to the area and can help meds work better....light, regular exercise specific for hands, avoid hard grasping, twisting or too much repetitive movements...your DR can do xrays & bloodwork to determine the type of arthritis you may be looking at....esp. with something like RA, its best to find out asap, to prevent progression and avoid permanent damage...If you cant get in to see a Dr...ask them about the oral anti-inflammatories, or try the topical & the heat/ice until you can get in!! Good Luck, hopefully you get some relief and eventually peace of mind!! BEST WISHES💒☮🎶🐾🌈♾🍀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.