I sweat even when I'm cold

Posted , 6 users are following.

For months I've been thinking I sweat way too much and thought I must have hyperhidrosis. I was even more puzzled today when I was outside waiting in the bus stop this morning. It was freezing cold, so cold I was shivering. Was I sweating? Yes. I don't get how I can be cold and sweating at the same time. The sweating just seems to happen randomly.

I went to the GP and got a blood test but they never diagnosed me with the condition; they just said my white blood cell count is low and it's probably not related. The GP said that people's body controls temperature different to others. Why would my body work like this? Does my body have problems keeping control of temperature?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have also tried anti-persprints but I don't use them becauz they always irritate my skin. The doctor said that they work by blocking the sweat glands and I sweat because my body needs to sweat but why does my body need to sweat so much? Why do they work for other people but irritate me?

• Posted

I'm 24 and the excessive sweat is from my armpits.

• Posted

I know how you feel. From the age of 13 I began sweating under my arms. Literally every day, at any time of the year.

No deodorants ever worked for me. I also never went to the doctor because I always felt so embarrassed, but also because doctors give the kind of answers that you described.

Where do you sweat from? And how old are you?

I tried a natural deodorant a couple of years ago and it literally changed my life.

• Posted

I'm 24 and the excessive sweat is from my armpits.

• Posted

I've always sweat excessively from my armpits too. I was asking about age because like I said I started sweating around 13 and I think it had something to do with hitting puberty. Is it a recent thing for you or has it gone on for a while?

For me, all through my teenage and twenties I had to try and cope with it 😦

Anyway, I'm now 32 and about a year and a half ago I started using a deodorant from Lush, its called Armaco deodorant if you want to try it and you can buy it in blocks, you just rub it on your armpits. I only started using it because I went vegan and they don't test on animals (by the way, I do not work for Lush and I am not trying to sell Lush products).

It may not work for you, I do think that a large part of it is psychological, but when I started using it, I was cycling to work in the middle of summer, getting home swearing buckets on my face (normal) but dry under my arms. I do still sometimes sweat, mainly if I'm anxious or nervous but most of the time I am fine. Give it a go and let me know if it works for you too 😃

• Posted

The sweating isn't recent, I just didn't know it was abnormal and excessive compared to everyone else. That Aromaco deodorant looks good and I'm going to try it. Thanks.

• Posted

One of the jobs of the hypothalamus is to regulate our temperature up to a point. Maybe the physical act of shivering may have caused the sweating while it was cold. Try wearing merino wool underwear or shirts to help keep stable warmth and wick away sweat. I have worn the same merino wool garments while on holidays for two weeks without the need to launder. Merino wool clothing manufacturers claim this particular benefit. Fine merino wool is not meant to make you too hot while inside.

See if your dr has tested all your pituitary gland hormones as well. Most drs forget about the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland is linked to the hypothalamus and they both affect each other. The trifecta is the adrenal glands.

It sounds like your excessive sweating is confined to your armpits which is a bonus - a lot of people it is almost all over their body. Armpits can be treated with botox and some other laser gadget to stop sweating.

My husband and I have found that using anti-perpirant twice a day does cause irritation. Find one that does not have a scent. We like the QV one.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi J Mountain,

You definitely have Hyperhidrosis and it will get worse. Ask your doctor to prescribe Oxybutynin or similar which will help. Google will take you to thousands of sites and some forums for sufferers. You are not alone.

• Posted

Would it be a good idea to stay in a hot environment for a while so my body can adjust itself better? Or maybe a cold environment?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.