I take 5mg inderal occasionally for anxiety? Is this harmless?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a nurse and get really nervous during handover. I am only 2 years qualified am a nurse and get really nervous during handover. I am only 2 years qualified but I have been taking 5mg of propranolol an hour before handover. some weeks I don't need to take it because I may be on 1:1 nurse patient special and don't handover to a group. Some weeks I have to take up to 20mg but that would be the maximum.

I hate taking it. I love going a week without taking it. I would love to cut out completely but I can't handover without taking half an inderal . I begin shaking and have a very shaky voice with a racing heart.

My question is, obviously I'm taking a small dose on average 50mg a month. Is this harmless or will even this small dose have some bad effect on me in years to come?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm pretty sure the dose you are taking won't cause any problem. From my experience with a similar issue I think a dose of 10mg about an hour before will enable you to cope. I think a lot of people posting horror stories on this site are taking way too high a dose. I think you should try to get the dose even lower if you can so it just takes the edge off the really unmanageable symptoms. If you still feel a bit nervous that doesn't really matter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.