I take orphenadrine comp forte (which is substituted for...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I take orphenadrine comp forte (which is substituted for norgesic forte) as needed, for occasional pain created in my cervical vertebrae. My fourth and fifth vertebrae are fused from the results of an auto accident in 1969. I am 59 years of age.The doctor who originally prescribed this medication is first my hero because without this med, the pain is excruciating; with it, I take one pill on the onset of the pain and it goes away, sometimes for weeks. Obviously my regiment of ingestion is erratic and low in frequency. The doctor would allow me to call his office when my supply ran low and he would write another prescription without an office visit. We moved and now I have a new doctor. I called and asked if I needed to come in for renewal, or if he would issue one. A nurse called back and said I would definitely need to come in. She said this med is addictive because it might contain morphine, or codeine (she wasn't sure), and if I'm taking this much, the doctor would need to investigate the cause for the need. I would like to know if this medication is addictive, and whether it contains either of these substances.

[i:236ccc98bb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:236ccc98bb]

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am a nurse. If you are taking Norgesic Forte as you have described there should be no problems with addiction. It does not contain codeine or morphine.

Some people will abuse any drug that alters their feelings. This drug is a muscle relaxant with asprin and caffeine.

Hope this helps ease your mind.

:wink:

[i:5121288651]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5121288651]

• Posted

The nurse of your new MD obviously does not know what Norgesic is. Norgesic is an old med which has been around for quite awhile.My new MD was not familiar with it when I requested it for my occas. back pain due to a history of a spinal fusion which didn't work very well. I have been a nurse for 40 yrs. & many doctors stopped using this & changed to newer meds. I'm only guessing, but I'm betting that the nurse you spoke with is confusing 'Norgesic'  with 'Duragesic' which sounds similar but is quite a different med. & can be addictive because it is a very strong narcotic. I'm thinking that they stopped making norgesic because it had become available in generic form & the pharm, companies weren't making enough money on the med any longer to make it worth their while to continue producing it.  This is a shame because it was very effective in alleviating pain for many of us who suffered with chronic pain & with few side effects. I have not found anything which has worked as well so I have had to learn to deal with the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.