I taking the range of A B C D drugs for high BP and want to cut down. any suggestions anyone?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 65 years and on so many drugs which I know is making me feel quite unwell most of the time.

My GP first started me on a Ace inhibitor  Perindopril 8mg then the rest followed... Bisoprolol 2.5mg, Calcium channel blocker Amlodipine 10mg and Directic Indapamide 2.50mg also on Levothyroxin 125mcg for underactive thyroid.

I stick to a Gluten, wheat and dairy inolerant "healthy diet" without doubt and I walk everyday. I also add supplements to my diet.

I want to cut down on these awful drugs before they kill me!!!!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The Mediterranean diet is considered the healthy diet for high blood pressure
    • Posted

Hi g..

Thank you for your advice, yes, I agree with you.

As I am Gluten wheat and dairy intolerant I tend to eat as much fruit and veg that I can. I juice dark green cale and any veg every morning Organic when possible.

I eat only chicken/turkey, stay off sugar and drink homemade kefir (see online) 

I just don't understand what is going on with my BP.

Best wishes Patx

• Posted

you are being wrongly prescribed the vasodilator (at uk licenced dose of 2.5mg) Indapamide as a diuretic. See my post

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/diuretics-in-hypertension-and-indapamide-error-nice-pathway-523586

I suggest you try Valsartan 80mg with 25mg (half a tablet use a pill cutter) Chlortalidone (take 50 mg for the first two days only due to the long half life) (+ the Levothyroxin) and drop the rest. If that does not reduce your BP enough add in Indapamide 1.5mg slow release (also called MR for modified release) not the 2.5mg.

Check your electrolytes and kidney function and uric acid ideally do both blood tests and a 24 hour urine creatinine clearance test so you have your base values before and after taking diuretics watch your sodium and potassium levels carefully by regular blood tests before the change ideally do a voiding dairy for 48 hours before starting and record your blood pressure and pulse.

Consider the other options as to the possible cause for example renal artery stenosis, blocked arteries, adrenalin etc

• Posted

Hi 7878.

Wow a lot to take in. Thank you so much for your help.

I am seeing my surgeon today for another problem concerning  increased, continuous pain after right sided bowel surgery eight years ago.  Then I shall see my GP so will definatly have a chat with him.

Though 69 years old I don't like this getting old lark.

Thanks

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.