I tested positive but my partner tested negative for herpes.

Posted , 38 users are following.

I have been in a commited relationship for almost 5 years. We are planning on getting married and having kids one day. Two weeks ago I went in to the Dr. because I nicked myself while shaving and I thought it had gotten really infected (maybe a rusty blade, yeast infection from my soap, to much sweating I wasn't sure). When I went in the Dr. told me it wasn't an infected wound it was a herpes sore next to a small nick. We got it tested and I came back positive for herpes.

I have only had 3 sex partners including my current partner and my partner has only been with me. The Dr. said it most likely came from one of my past partners. She said the virus can lay dormant for years before showing signs. However, I told my partner and he got tested. His test results came back saying he has been exposed to the herpes virus but that he did not have it. Which is a relief but at the same time confusing. How can he be clean if I've had it for possibly longer than 5 years and we've been having sex for 5 years? I don't want him to think I've been unfaithful and not to sound like a bad person but I wish he had come back positive so I wouldn't feel so alienated. I've read that the blood and urine test often come back negative because they are "weak" tests and the only way to confirm is by taking a sample from the sore it's self. So is it possible that he has the virus but it is currently dormant and that the test is not 100% reliable?

Any extra insight, knowledge, or previous experience would be appreciated on this subject matter. Thanks!

3 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Genital herpes can lay dormant for years, that's true. Also, the longer you've had it, the less you shed. It is not uncommon to have a positive/negative couple that remains that way after many years together, including regular sex.

Female to male transmission is only 4% if sex during outbreaks is simply avoided. Now that you know, however, and since he's negative, you should discuss whether you should take extra precautions or continue as before.

The IgG antibody blood test is fairly accurate, but not the IgM. Having oral HSV-1 can sometimes cause a false low positive, but not usually a high one. False negatives only really occur when an infection is new and insufficient antibodies have been established. The window period for HSV IgG is 3-4 months.

A positive lesion swab is conclusive, and a DNA/PCR swab is far more accurate than a viral culture, which sometimes produces false negatives, but not false positives.

• Posted

P.S. IgG antibodies are still present when HSV is dormant.
    • Posted

Does anyone know to read these test results accurately? The Dr. did not explain what it meant to us very well. And other than saying "he has been exposed" she did not confirm positive or negative. The test we paid for was the HSV IgG which is suppose to be the best.

It was an HSV IgG test

for HVS 1 it said In Range:  <0.90 for="" hvs="" 2="" it="" said="" out="" of="" range:="">5.00H

Value and Interpretation:

<0.90        negative="" 0.90-1.10 ="" equilvocal="">1.10        Positive

From my understanding of this he has HSV 2.

They also used the IgM test but from what I have read it's not very reliable. The results for that test came back all negative.

• Posted

Yes, this is definitely showing positive for HSV-2 (and negative for HSV-1). Over 5 is very unlikely to be a false positive, so he has it, too. Not an exposure, but an infection, though he may be asymptomatic. Think your doctor used strange terminology to indicate this!
    • Posted

Hello. I Just tested positive for HV1. Results = 1.28

Finding this out has been very shattering for me considering that I am in my mid-forties and have Been STD free up till now... I'm getting such mixed information from so many people. I thought I was exposed this year on "Superbowl Sunday" to be exact, but a friend just told me I was probably exposed three or four months ago because 2 -3 weeks is too short to have the Antibodies show in the blood. Any chance this could be a false positive or is a positive result pretty much a done deal? Any thoughts?

• Posted

Was the test for IgG antibodies or IgM? Only IgG is recommended by experts, as the IgM test for herpes is unreliable. Did you have a genital outbreak? Have you ever had oral cold sores?

Your score is a low positive, so could be indicative of a recent infection. If you test again at 3 months and it is much higher, then you will know for sure it's a recent infection. If not, then it is pre-existing and you could just have a low antibody value.

• Posted

HPV1 is VERY common..90% of the population has it ; don't be upset

• Posted

Is there any way someone could be infected with hsv-2 for quite some time maybe a year or more and still get negative on an IgG test?
    • Posted

Only if the test failed to pick it up, or the person's antibody level dropped off significantly. However, both scenarios are not very common, so although technically possible, I would say generally no. They ought to test positive.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick reply.

I had gotten an std test through Plushcare, an online service that allows you to pay out of pocket for a variety of tests, that returned my results as <.9 for both hsv-1 and hsv-2 but did not state an actual number.

• Posted

Not all labs will tell you the exact number, only the range in which your score fell, so that is not uncommon. Do you know the test kit and type? E.g., HerpeSelect (I'm assuming) and IgG or IgM?

• Posted

Good. Then based on your results, you can count yourself negative, provided you tested 3 months post-exposure.
    • Posted

I wasnt sure how accurate the testing was. I think i will need to be retested because i got this done at about a month and Half after my first time with my current boyfriend.

I just have had some sposts that have popped up so i freaked out. But only because i have experienced chlamydia and allowed it to get to the point of pure agonizing pain before i was smart enough to go to the dr.

• Posted

About how many men have you slept with? Are any of them really sexually active? Has the bumps disappeared? Also when was the last time you had sex?
    • Posted

My result came up as 14.35 for HSV 2 is that even possible for a positive result.?. it labeled my result as (high)
    • Posted

Was this with the HerpeSelect test kit? Yes, it's possible, but it doesn't mean anything other than it's a definite positive and your body put up a very strong immune response. Although it's hard to believe, the HSV experts say there is no other significance. I also have a very high index value, but using a different test kit.

• Posted

I am super confused. I have no symtoms and never have. I have been in 2 10+year relationships and now recently a 2+ year relationship with someone I was sexually active with in the past. All 3 of these people came back negative for both HSV1 & 2 and I came back positive with both 19.3 for 1 and 11.8 for 2. I have not used protection with any of them and my current relationship includes just about everything. Almost daily for over a year. We actually assumed I got it from the current guy because he has lived a much risker life than me so he didn't get tested for 5 months after my tests were positive and my most recent ex was negative. Then his results came back negative. I was retested and got those numbers. I am so confused. Is it at all possible my results are wrong and if they aren't how much risk is my partner really taking. I started taking valtrex daily to cut the risk in half but we are both scared. I was tested for everything when I had my kids and came back negative. I also had bronchitis when I was pregnant with my son who is 24 and they said since I couldn't take medicine and had it for 3 months that it would always be in my system. Is it possible something else could be triggering this posotive antibodies reaction? I also tested negative for the one saying the virus was present which my doctor said correlates to my not having any outbreaks. Idk what to do.

• Posted

Was that with the HerpeSelect IgG test? If so, those values are too high to be false, but you can always do the University of Washington western blot if you are really sceptical and want the best test. I can only surmise that you have both, but are asymptomatic and a low shedder, which is why you've not passed anything on to date. Either that, or your various partners tested using the wrong test. Of all the available mainstream tests, it needs to be the IgG test, not IgM, not anything else.

• Posted

I've been with my girlfriend 9yrs she tested pos for hsv2 im very promiscuous SHE claims she tested neg last yr I tested neg how do you explain this never used condoms in 9yrs

• Posted

What type of test did you both have done? Not all HSV tests are created equal in terms of reliability and accuracy.
    • Posted

I too have a value of 5 for HSV2. To be sure I understand, this of course means I am positive in terms of having the virus, but what does the high value mean exactly? What leads to such a high value?

Also, I read in another forum that one can be positive and asymptomatic for HSV2 and carry the virus in his or her mouth without being positive for HSV1. I was certain when I went in for testing that I’d surely test positive for HSV1 due to all the sores I’ve had in my mouth off and on since childhood and brought on by stress. (One doctor told me those weren’t Herpes lesions but apthous lesions.) So now I’m confused. Could I be manifesting HSV2 in my mouth? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.