I think he may have PTSD?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I know that this might not be the best place to go to ask this type of question but I wanted an outside opinion and from other people who suffer from PTSD to offer their opinion on the matter.

So I used to be friends with this guy and he is quite popular and smart. He has lots of friends and enjoys hanging out with people. He's the type of guy who goes on how well he does in his life and how popular he is, including how everyone goes to his house or in town and how he has a great time all the time. I would say hi to him if I saw him and he would run the opposite direction, he seemed scared so I asked if he was okay or if I had done anything to maybe upset him but he said he was fine and that I didn't do anything.

I found out on an occasion where he admitted to me that he was harming himself and that he was having nightmares which made feel really concerned for him and I promised him that I would keep it a secret. After the end of every discussion I would have with him he would run away again.

Recently I thought that he had another episode of trying to harm himself which made me panic and tried contacting him. Only to find him laughing and chatting with his friends. I asked if I could meet him around where he lived to talk to him about how he's been acting with me and to apologise for coming to conclusions about his depressive state. He said that he would only talk on the phone with me but in the past he would just put the phone down and not conclude the issue. So I refused and asked to see him in person, I informed him that I would be in town to meet him and that he could text me his address as he said he was unwell.

So I arrived in the town and left him a couple of voicemails asking where he was and said that I would see him the following week at the workplace wishing him well if he didn't show. He never turned up or replied to my messages.

So i'm back at the work place the week after and spot him, so I touch him on the arm to talk to him about him not seeing me the other day.

HE FREAKS OUT.

He begins screaming at me and telling me to get off him and accused me of stalking him. I was really shocked and got very emotional after this and tried explaining that I was worried and wanted to talk things through. He accused me of not being normal and how normal people don't talk things through in person but on the phone. He informed me that he rang the police and filed a complaint about me because he was scared for his safety.

After our confrontation I immediately informed other members of staff about the confrontation and was seriously shaken by the ordeal. The department investigated the problem and found that he only rang the police for advice on an unwanted person at the door where they gave a generic answer to just not open it, he did not file a complaint about me or give them my name. The staff concluded that he had overreacted and to not expect and apology from him. They informed me that he had a bad past experience with another person turning up at his house unwanted and the police were called on that situation. They strongly hinted towards him having PTSD. I informed staff about his depressive state and they said they would take appropriate action.

I don't know if he has PTSD or whether this was an excuse for his scary behaviour but he seems fine chatting with his friends and hanging out, including his friends saying he's acting fine. Plus he said in the past how he would invite his friends round to his place so it doesn't make sense in how he's reacted with me. I am very nervous returning to the work place as I work in the same room as him as I don't know if he will have another outburst with me. I have blocked him on all modes of communication and certain members of staff are aware of the situation and are keeping an eye out just in case.

What do you guys think?

Sammy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi samsam, i read your post and i really feel for you. That's a sign of PTSD or paranoia may be he thinks people are doing things wrong towards him! Please ask for support off your doctor, he needs lots of understanding but you need help if you are going to support him. It will be a tough road, at present my husband supports me and i have PTSD - i know strange in females but it can happen. Don't do this alone, he's ill don't forget! I wish you lots of luck!

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your message and apologies for not replying to your message sooner. A lot has happened since the incident.

I have been extremely anxious returning to the office. I had a bad experience with him again a month later, when work ended he followed up closely behind me to my car one evening with his friend and walked right up to my car door. His friend wanted to talk to me but seemed to be in a jokingly mood rather than being serious so I quickly left without talking to them.

I can't believe he tried to involve other people in the situation and when I was informed to not have any further communication with him that he would go and do something like this?! I managed to finally complain about this incident after I felt scared and uneasy returning to work. They are going to investigate his behaviour and ask him why he has began to intimidate me. I have also asked whether I can be moved to a different office since I feel unsafe to carry on working in the same room as him.

I truly feel that he has lied about his PTSD and how he has reacted after the incident doesn't seem normal. If he wanted to talk to me then he should be talking to relevant members of staff who are aware of the situation rather than getting his friends involved.

I'm so angry about the whole situation, hopefully staff are able to properly talk with him and make him understand the seriousness of it all.

• Posted

hey samsam, just been reading all the messages here, its a tough situation as he is unwell and your trying to help as much as you can but it comes across as he is masking his issues and is now starting to intimidate you. there is definatly some signs of PTSD in his actions but im leading more towards bipolar. i see you have been trying to help and i commend you for it but it seems like he is not ready to accept help and there is only so much you can do, make sure to look after yourself more then anything mate. i think you have offered to help and i would wait now and if he wants it he will come to you. hes making up stories about calling the police and all that crap that your potentionally putting yourself in harms way, if hes lying about that then you dont know what he is saying to other people also! i would step back on it all and the balls in his court. keep your head down pal

• Posted

hi people just been a tad confused, my partner isn't like this. i put a post on about my ex counsellor. really sorry for any confusion! as for the other sam your boyfriend definitely needs help, PTSD is so difficulr to live with, i think it's what i have. both people need support but there is only so much you can do. good luck trying to cope p.m me if you want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.