I think I am an alcoholic

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I am looking for some input, I have been drinking very heavily and frequently for the past two and a half years, I probably have drunk two hundred or more units a week or more. I tend to binge a lot, I've noticed that I've been very lethargic lately, sick and depressed and anxious; I'll be honest these symptoms have been here for a good number of months and I feel seriously unwell, my whole body is shakey and I can't get out of bed, I've tried to be abstinent from alcohol but I can't seem to last more than two days. Any advice? Sorry this is so ambiguous, doesn't really offer a clear picture but I assure you I am suffering.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well done for asking this question and realising you need help. You certainly have been drinking a lot. Couple of questions. Have you been drinking every day? What happens after two days abstinence, what makes you drink again? If your whole body is shaky it sounds like you do have a problem. Google alcohol use disorder for more info - yes it is a disorder, not a weakness or a choice - and then see your doctor as soon a you can. I wish you well.

• Posted

That amount of alcohol will affect your central nervous system, that cause shakes and other issues. The alcohol will be having an effect on your brain (not just the feeling of being drunk) and your vital organs, which will make you feel unwell.

Couple this with the fact that you are probably dehydrated even though you most likely don't notice this and the fact that you will probably not be eating very well.

As Ade has askked, it would be interesting to see what sets off your drinking each time ,stress, anxiety or even boredem. There is medication that can also help, it depends what direction you want to take.

• Posted

Hi Shybert,

With the extent of what you are drinking, I think the best advice might be to arrange an appointment with your doctor for a full check up and help with coming off the alcohol.  There is medical help available.

At 200 or more units a week (assuming you are in the UK) that works out at around a bottle of spirits a day.  Is that the amount you are drinking?

If so, you definitely need medical help because trying to come off that much alcohol can be dangerous.

• Posted

Not ambigious at ALL...its very clear that you are suffering and that you are suffering at the hands of alcoholism.

They talk alot about the Sinclair method on this site and it possibly could help you to cut down your drinking which would in turn...cut down your symptoms.

I feel for you....its awful to want to control something and having no control.

• Posted

Scybert please stop drinking. I am an alcoholic and my body has suffered. I know how it feels to physically feel terrible. Please dry out. Get up and throw away your bottles. Get a bunch of ice water and start drinking that. You are going to sweat and have nightmares for a couple days. Keep drinking water. Try to get some nutrition in you. Chicken soup. Fruits and yogurts. Do u have anyone whom you live with that can help you? I know you can do this. It's not too late to change.

• Posted

Wouldn't doubt for a moment that you're suffering. Looks like others have given some good advice here. How are you doing today?

• Posted

G'day Shybert,

Thats a lot aye! i was drinking a bottle of wine every night 5 days in a week and the lovely folks here told me to stop as it was going to cause problem in the coming years.

I recon the best thing to do is to consult with a doc or change your habbits . Work out as much as you can or spend time in Gym as oppose to going to a pub.

But i assure you that you will get good help from these awesome ppl on this forum . Just stay active and let them know / updates

Cheers,

D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.