I think I have a cyst?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I think I have a cyst but I’m not sure. I have a lump probably the size of a walnut, I think it’s towards the bottom of my left labia and I can feel swelling just inside my vagina. There is a definite lump, quite firm to touch, and a whole lot more swelling that goes all the way down to my butt cheek. It’s tender to touch, the lump has doubled in size since yesterday and is making me rather uncomfortable. I saw a GP today who said it was not a cyst but just swelling. He prescribed antibiotics, panadeine forte and Ibuprofen. I honestly think he just wanted me to go away and never come back. Understandable really, I was horrified having to go there. I’ve tried hot baths and putting a hot towel on it,  but it hasn’t done anything yet. Does this sound like a Bartholin cyst? Or is the dr right? I have an appointment with my usual GP on Monday to get a second opinion, in case this monstrosity hasn’t disappeared by then. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is a Bartholin cyst hunni.....sorry u going through the pain cos I can totally relate.

Just got home from the hospital for an incision after suffering 5 days of excruciating pain. I tried all the home remedies Iv seen online and on this platform nothing worked for me.(though it works for others🤷🏾???)

I suggest u go to your main walk in  hospital and let them see wat u going through.am certain they will arrange an operation for you.else the pain will only get worst if the cyst(abscess)doesn’t drain by itself.

Good luck and may God be with you.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. How are you feeling? How bad was having the incision? Looks like I’m heading that way 😩 I’m more than half way through the dose of antibiotics and the damn thing is still the size of a golf ball and very painful. My GP today was wonderful and get me an appointment with a gyno in two days, which is pretty impressive given his three week wait time. I’m so scared he’ll have to cut it. How long does it take to recover from? 

• Posted

Sounds just like a Bartholin cyst. Sorry you are going through that, those suckers are such a pain to deal with- I hate them with a passion!

Definitely go get a 2nd opinion because it sounds like the first doctor diagnosed you with swelling yet sent you on your way with antibiotics who are used to fight infection, doesn't make sense.

Stay committed to sitz bath and warm compress, that should help with discomfort, unclogging and draining. I would keep taking those antibiotics too, to keep any infection at bay.

I feel for you and I hope it gets resolved and you feel better!

XX

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. I did find it strange hat he’d give antibiotics for swelling. To top it off, my period has started today. Sorry for the TMI, but I’m so swollen the blood can’t get out unless I move things. I’m in considerably more pain than yesterday but am refusing to take panadeine forte as that starts a whole other problem. I’m guessing I’ll need to wait until the bleeding stops before I see the dr? I was thinking i’d keep my appointment and take the drugs the other Dr has given me so my GP can make sure i’m on the right track. 
    • Posted

Trust me you are not alone on that. The same day I developed the cyst I also got my period. Like you, I figured I will wait until my period was over to go get checked out. However, the following day I was more swollen and in more pain. I decided to go to the ER and gave the doctor a heads up that I was on my period. He checked me and also swabbed me to test me if it was anything more serious. Honestly, I was in so much pain I forgot to be embarrassed! I could feel my blood dripping while he was checking me (sorry TMI- but just so you have an idea and know you won't be the first! ) I say go to your appointment for YOUR peace of mind and to get this thing on its way for recovery, I'm sure doctors have seen all kinds of stuff and the last thing you should do is delay your appointment just to avoid being checked on your period. Your health and feeling better is number one!

Hope you get through this and have a speedy recovery because these things f#%!÷× suck!

• Posted

Thanks Andrea. My GP was great. She has sent me to a gyno with the expectation he’ll have to cut it somehow 😬 She did say I’d be knocked out so that’s a positive! The antibiotics haven’t made the swelling go down and I’m still in considerable pain. If it gets worse, of to hospital ?? . I had never heard of these hideous things! Thank goodness for this forum, until then I thought I had a hernia or prolapse of some sort 😂

• Posted

Well I hope yours gets resolved soon. They are a pain to deal with and it seems doctors don't take them serious even though they are so common and the main reason we go to the ER is to get some pain and discomfort releif.

Yeah, I'm not much into forums and social media but the girls in this site posting about their remedies and experiences really helped me get through mine and I'd like to give back.

Keep at it with the warm compress and I hope you are almost at the finish line! Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.