I think I have a Pilonidal Cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 14 year old male, and I have what I think is a Pilonidal Cyst, but how can I be sure?

Yesterday, (December 31st), I felt some bruise-like pain at my tailbone. I felt around, and found a small lump at the top of my "Bumcrack" (For lack of a better word). It seems to be on the right side, not directly between them. I do have a lot of hair around that area, and I sit for most of the day. 

Today it's only been sore if I push on it.

From what I've read online, it seems to be a Pilonidal Cyst / Sinus, but I wanted to be sure.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My only advice is to go get it checked out by a doctor as soon as possible... after a 5 year long battle with these pilonidal troubles I have finally got rid of it. I had 3 surgeries in 6 months to finally stop it. 

It’s not worth leaving it as long as I did trust me 

• Posted

I had surgery for a pilonidal cyst just before Christmas. I went to the doctors and they gave me antibiotics (fluxloxacillin). They didn't really work and ended up going to A&E the day after and then having surgery the day after that. I'd definitely go to the docs and tell them what you think it is. I left mine too long and ended up not being able to sit down.  Also, feel so much better after surgery, not needed any pain killers or anything since I left hospital even though they give you a load! Hope you get it sorted!

• Posted

I accidentally popped it yesterday, and it seems to have flattened out. I'll keep my eye on it, and if I can still feel it at all, or it gets bigger, I'll get it checked out as soon as I can.

Thank you both for your replies!

• Posted

Jack,

the only way to confirm if its a pilonidal cyst is to go to a doc and have it checked. I saw you mention that you accidentally popped it. From what I understand, it popped while you were on a regular day to day activities ? It means there was significant pressure on the infection and hence the popping out. Although it may have given you a temporary relief, please do not hesitate to go visit a doc and have it checked. Its probably the tip of the iceberg. Not scaring you but just to be sure - please visit a doc. The sinus tract could be deep within and if not attended to , it can come up again and take you through a lot of pain. Good Luck.

• Posted

Get to the doctors! It will just get worse and worse if you don’t mate. Read my story at the top it might help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.