I think I have BV and its ruining my sex life! Help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey, wondering if you could help.

I have had watery vaginal discharge with fishy odor and bleeding after sexual intercourse.

I rang my GP but couldn't get an appointment so I went to my local sexual health clinic, where they tested me for chlamydia and sent me on my way. Obviously the smell is driving me mad, so I made a doctors appointment where they sent me away because I hadn't received the result for my STI test. Today, I have had the result and it is negative (which I knew it would be) so I've made a doctors appointment for this afternoon, and I am going to tell the doctor, the more I am reading about BV, that's what I think it is. I have been with my partner for 8 years and it's so embarrassing because the smell is horrendous and I feel like I need to shower constantly, which is making it worse I think, so I am fighting a loosing battle.

I am due to go on holiday in less that two weeks and it's really scaring me that I won't be cured for when I go, or more so if it comes back.

Does anyone else have the bleeding after sex symptom with their BV?

Thanks in advance!

X

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi georgia. I had BV for a while and couldn't get the smell to go away until I read an article that "tea tree oil "curs it... so I bought some at the drug store for about 8$ and I poured some in the bathtub and sat for about an hour and it got rid of it.. but of course you have to do it at least twice a week for a month or so and I stopped using the oil completely and It hasn't came back, try that and see if it rids the smell.. also I never bleed after sex you might have a yeast infection...
    • Posted

Call you ob/gyn or gp and get him/ her to call you in Metronidazole. It will start to clear up in one to two days. You will have to take it for about seven days.
    • Posted

Hey, I've just come back from the doctors and that's exactly what he has prescribed me with so hopefully this will do the trick! Thanks for the reply
  • Posted

i inserted a tampon with 3 drops of tea tree oil but it kinda burned I'm going to try this I hope this works
    • Posted

Call your ob/gyn or gp and get him/ her to call you in Metronidazole. It will clear it up in one or two days. You'll have to take it for about seven days but you will be fine. It is a pill by mouth!
  • Posted

Call your on/gyn and ask him/her to call you in Metronidazole. It will start to clear it up in one to two days. You will have to take it for seven days but you will be good for your trip!
  • Posted

Hi Georiga, I don't know if I'm dining this right?😕 Anyway have a doctor👷 call you in to you pharmacy Metronidazole. It will start to cure the smell that day if not the next! You will have to take this for four to seven days. It has a bitter taste take with food or milk. I've been married for 16 years and this happens every time I take a sit down bath or get in a not properly cleaned pool! 😟Have fun on your trip!
  • Edited

Hi,

I can relate as I had to deal with recurring BV for more than 5 years. For the past 2 years I have been BV "free" but I have to maintain a daily of herbal supplements in order to keep the bacteria from coming back. I will list the herbs that I take and hopefully they will work for you--trust me I've tried almost everything suggested in books and in online forums/blogs, but finally found a solution that worked for me. I hesitate to say that I found a cure, as I believe that I am predisposed to having an imbalance in my ph (after my menstrual cycle) which causes BV.

I am in the US so I am not sure if you will have all of the herbs available to you at your local pharmacy or health food store, but they can all be found online.

BV is caused my an imbalace in vaginal PH. This can occur after sexual intercourse, or after your menstrual cycle (always occured after my cycle) The normal vaginal ph is 3.5-4.5. The ph of blood is 7.4 and the ph of semen is 7.2-8.0.

So it is very easy to throw off your ph balance after sex or every time you have your period.

Luckily I did not have an order with my BV infection but a hydrogen peroxide and distilled water douche will get rid of the odor. You can buy a vinegar/h20 douche and pour out the liquid and rinse. Fill the bottle with room temp distilled water and 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide--that will get rid of odor but will not get rid of the infection.

The bleeding after sex I am not familiar with as I did not have that symptom BUT I did have a thin watery discharge that looked like orange/reddish blood--I believe that this not blood but BV discharge. I used to get this a few days after my period had ended and right before the full on symptoms of my BV reared its ugly head.

I do not know if the color is from residual menstraul blood that has mixed with the BV discharge, or just the color of the discharge when the infection is really bad...most of the time my discharge was watery yellow/white--but after my period it was the red/orange color.

Another reason why I  believe the "bloodlike"discharge is BV is because whenever I take Oil of Oregano (Oregano Oil--my miracle BV cure herb) supplements after my period, I get a few days of bloodlike thin  discharge (it isn't blood because my period will have ended for at least 3 days) when I use the bathroom.

Sorry I am writing such a long reply and I apologize if it is difficult to follow but I want to include everything that has worked for me so hopfully you will find a solution.

I use:

1. Oil of Oregano suplements

2. Golden Seal

3. Pau D Arco Supplements

4. Tea Tree Oil/Distilled water Douche (only 1 time--after my period ends)

The tea tree oil/distilled water douche works wonders and you will notice an immediate reduction in symptpm within 8-24 hours...well I should add that you will notice an increase in discharge within a few hours to 24 hours after the douche but that is the bacteria leaving your body--you should wear a panty liner.

Tea tree oil is a very potent antibacterial and antifungal properties--it also kills yeast (candida) so you may notice an increase in vaginal itching immediatly after using it as that is a symptom called "yeast die off). I experienced that a few times because I also had a yeast overgrowth although I did not have any symptoms of a yeast infection. 

Ok, I realized that I am writing a lot so if you want to PM me with any questions you have, I will do my best to answer them--but basically I take oil of oregano (1500 mg) Golden Seal extract (at least 500mg)

Pau D arco (at least 200mg) and a daily probiotic. 

I hope this helps smile

• Posted

Hi georgia, this does sound a lot like BV. I recently have been cured of BV after spending 4 months having no sex life and living with the embarrassment youre feeling. Please know firstly youre not alone in this and im sure you'll find help on this site just as i did. Its almost nice to know youre not alone. Go back to your doctor and ask to be tested for Candida (BV) its a swab test just the same as being tested for sti's. One thing i found was doctors didnt help for a long time. Everytime i said i thought i had BV they would tell me i didnt without testing me and tell me the smell will just go away with time - frustrating! Eventually i put my foot down and a nurse tested me for it and of course it came back positive for bv. Now a lot, almost majority it seems the antibiotics given by the doctors for BV either don't work or only work for a short period of time so i wasnt hopeful but they did work for me. Now four weeks since i took them and i am still completely BV free and i couldnt be happier. So please go back to the doctor or clinic and demand. Try get it gone before you go off on holiday. Although it didn't work for me you should try some remedies after your test such as tea tree oil and vitimans to see if it make any difference. I hope you find your cure fast, i know the struggle x
  • Posted

Georgia,

I hope all is well. If you are still suffering from BV try these steps

1. If you are constipated as well start taking metamucil or a fiber suppliment of some sort. I am taking the generic brand of metamucil in caplet form. Once your stomach kick starts all of the foods that have been agrevating the BV will start to flush out.

2. Start a smootie regiment - this is the completely natrual way to cure BV. Include your favorite fruits for taste. I use rasberries mostly for the fiber because of my stubborn backed up stomach. Bananas are perfect as well. Add spinach for the Vitamin E that helps the BV subside. Do a half cup of water and a half cup of nonfat plain yogurt - the plain yogurt is what will really rid of the BV for good. Even if you dont have time to make yourself a smoothie every morning eat the yogurt plain (which is really gross but affective) or take a probiotic with the active cultures that are in yogurt

3. Exercize 20 mintues a day- whether you walk or dance or get on a tredmil/bike/eliptical for a few minutes a day you will get your stomach moving and all the ickyness thats causing BV will start to get moving out of your system

4. Avoid sex for 5 to 7 days - just to be safe. Once you do start having sex either jump in a warm to hot shower to rinse your area or use a hot wash cloth with no soap (that will just irritate) have your partner wash up before and after sex too

I really hope this helps. It has 100% worked for me. I really hope this post finds you well!!!

• Posted

Hi. I went to the sexual health clinic last week as had been suffering from symptoms including dryness meaning we hadn't had sex fully for months (I should have gone before but you know how it is!?)

anyway the doc didn't think I had BV as I hadn't suffered from discharge or odour but gave me a box of Balance Activ BV gel to use while we waited for microbiology results.  I got a phone call aFriday to say yes BV was present!

My my husband was working away last week so I dutifully set about using the gel each night. I hadn't noticed much difference until yesterday .... We had the most wonderful sex in years if I'm honest! 

My vag has has clearly returned to its usual state already ( 5 days of the gel) and there was no pain, discomfort, burning or swelling.  I also was so into it which I haven't been at all for longer than I care to remember which I guess was a result of the pain free activity for a change!

you can buy balance Activ NV gel online. I will finish this course then buy another box online to use once a week to keep my 'flora' as it should be. 

What at a relief! My husband says I've been re-born!

• Posted

I had vaginitis for 4 months. The way that it was finally cured: I asked to be treated for mycoplasma genitalium. This bacteria causes a high pH and recurrent BV. And no one screens for it, and flagyl doesn't kill it. If you want to be tested: labcorp test 180089. Treatment is 5 day z-pack. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.