I think I have Fatal Insomnia

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm at my wits end. I've had sleeping problems before but this is different. I'm scared to death I have Fatal Insomnia! I've always made it on 5-6 hours a night and been fine. The last few nights have been hell. My anxiety has been rearing is ugly head. As I begin to doze I feel weird sensations. My heart pounds, I feel short of breath, and I feel as if I'll vomit. It all jolts me awake. I've gotten maybe 7 hours total the last 2 nights and I'm scared.

I do have other symptoms as well.

Horrible Insomnia

Sweating and chills

Heart pounding

Depression and anxiety

Also when I do achieve sleep, I feel as if I don't and have vivid dreams. I'm almost dreaming with my eyes open. I'm never aware I'm asleep, done it for years. My job requires a ton of thinking and my anxiety is fine until the moment I get home and begin to wind down. I think I've developed a fear of sleep or sleep dread.

I just can't shake the feeling that I really have Fatal Insomnia. Any reassurance will help please?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If u still can fall asleep even for an hour, u don't have FFI (Fatal Familiar insomnia). FFI victims cannot fall asleep AT ALL. They typically die within a month (learned it from documentary). I am not trying to scare you. 

It is the fact. And it is a inheritance genetic disorder. if your parents do not have FFI then u will be fine. The symptom starts around the age of 30.

The fact is you don't have FFI so don't worry. 

I have the same problem as you. I thought I have FFI. And I am so worry and anxious about sleep. I just had 4 nights without sleep. no joke, 4 nights, zero hours of sleep. 

I think if you need to seek helps, if you still unable to sleep. If the Dr. prescribed you any drugs that is under benzodiazpem family, please think twice before u take it. because it is highly addictive and u will build your tolerance super fast, and the withdrawn syndrome is HORRIBLE. I am already addicted to lorazopem and i am on diazepam now, trying to come off from it but my insomnia went worse. 

Ask Dr. for alternative option

BTW, Queitaipine is a good one, which reduces your anxiety

Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.