I think I have fibromyalgia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there I think I have fibromyalgia I have been in pain for over 2 years now my hips,elbows,lower back,knees are the worst I also get pain in my neck I am constantly tired to the extremes that when I get home from work I fall asleep I am only 44. I have my first Rheumatology appointment late December and don't know what to expect. Can anybody help my family think it;s all in my mind. Is it ?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was very recently diagnosed though have had pain for a few years. I am 38 and know a few other people around my age with it too. If the docs say this is what you have then no it's definately not in your head. I also suffer from sever neck pain and can find it hard to suport my own head at times when it's really bad. To try and help with the tiredness I take vitamin D every day.

I hope this helps.

Helen. xo

• Posted

Thankyou so much for getting back to me from reading on these forums people suffer with it in many different ways it is a debilitating condition. I will keep you posted I have a Rheumatologist appointment on the 27th December so hopefully will find out then x the fibromyalgia association is a very good site I don't know if you have tried that x
  • Posted

Hi both , i have had this condition for around ten yrs, it can be disabilating , i find the extreme tiredness the worst , , but i have learnt alot from researching the illness , i have found how to live my life around it , (took afew yrs to do this though ) the pain can be so intence , but i have a tens machine i use on my neck as i too find this the most painful,( if i get over tired) i have to use a collar for a few hours ,they say this condition can run its course and clear away altogether , but after all this time i dont hold out to much hope ,your Rheumatolist will give you lots of information on this illness too , i take Amitriptline and mst (morphine ) and this does help with the pain , take care both x
  • Posted

Hi all, I have had fb for about 5 years now, it effcts different parts of the body on different people, I suffer bad with my back and hips. I can cope with the pain but you can't do anything about the extreme tiredness apart from sleep. But I take a tablet called naproxen, its a strong anti inflamatory and pain killer, I take 1000mg at night to get me through and it usually lasts all day, together with the nortryptaline to help me sleep through the night. I thought I was going mad and it was all in my head, but its not.
  • Posted

Hi all, I have had fb for about 5 years now, it effcts different parts of the body on different people, I suffer bad with my back and hips. I can cope with the pain but you can't do anything about the extreme tiredness apart from sleep. But I take a tablet called naproxen, its a strong anti inflamatory and pain killer, I take 1000mg at night to get me through and it usually lasts all day, together with the nortryptaline to help me sleep through the night. I thought I was going mad and it was all in my head, but its not.
  • Posted

Just a question to all of you does any of your family members have fm, mine don't and I was wondering whether it ran in families. I do have family members with arthritis, but they say fm is not an arthritis x
  • Posted

I personally think it is related to reumatoid arthritis as my dad had it and my sister has it and they say its an arthritis of the muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.