I think I have hyponatremia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Years ago when I was 14 I used to be really self conscious about my weight and was convinced I needed my weight to be as low as it possibly could. I used to run on the treadmill for about an hour and sometimes two hours each day of the week. I sweated a lot and wasn't aware of electrolyte loss and how dangerous sweat loss could be. I remember my weight went as low as 158 then would fluctuate around 165 to 172 between 15 and 17 years old. I'm 21 now and still around 172. One main problem I've had since then is skin turgor. When I pull the skin on my fingers it takes longer than 5 seconds to retract back to normal, I'd say maybe even ten seconds. Also, my skin across my body and on my face is noticeably dull and sunken in. I'm thinking this is from salt loss because I've been drinking water regularly and usually I urinate a lot and it's clear but no changes in skin. I have noticed sometimes theres a difference and it feels fuller when I wake up but then goes back to how it is now. How can I solve this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you drinking a lot but neglecting your diet to keep your weight down?

Acute Hyponatremia is often caused by drinking a lot of water over a very short time, and usually it causes severe symptoms . I know...I have experienced it.

But you may be low in essential salts of potassium or sodium but you would need a blood test to find out. If you are low in these salts then your doctor or a dietician can help.

What is your diet like? Do you have a balanced diet with plenty of meat/fish/eggs/milk and fresh fruit and veg?

• Posted

I wouldn't say my diet balanced. This was about seven years ago when I got into the habit of exercising too much. Since then I do eat but I don't I have ever replaced all the salt that I lost back then as my skin turgor is apparently very bad. That's really the only obvious symptom I have and tried drinking more water but that didn't help either so I'm thinking it's a salt imbalance. Would increasing the amount of salt I eat help me? Like eating more Himalayan salt with food throughout the day? Could this work?

• Posted

As I have said you really need to see your doctor and have a blood test to see if there is any imbalance of your blood. It may not be sodium, it may be something else. If you dont need the salt then your kidneys will just work harder to get rid of it. Excess salt is not good for you and can lead to other problems.

Do see your doctor for advice before dosing yourself with something that may not be necessary. If you are lacking something your doctor or a dietician can guide you if necessary. There may not be anything wrong at all.

• Posted

For severe symptomatic hypothermia, the first line of remedy is prompt intravenous infusion of hypertonic saline, with a target boom of 6 mmol/L over 24 hours (now not exceeding 12 mmol/L) and an extra 8 mmol/L for the duration of each 24 hours thereafter till the affected person's serum sodium concentration reaches a hundred thirty mmol/L.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.