I think I have kidney disease and I'm terrified.

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I am new here. I think I might have kidney disease. I didn't get diagnosed with it yet though. I am going to first go to my primary care doctor and get them to take a urine sample and blood tests and other tests if they need to. Some of the symptoms i have are dark colored urine. It looks like amber colored most of the time. And i have noticed small bubbles in my urine once so far. I go to the bathroom like 6 or 7 times per day which i believe is normal. Then i also have like some skin on my foot that turned brown. And then a little of it turned yellow too. I think its called increased skin pigmentation. I also just started getting these muscle twitches. Then sometimes i get diarrhea but not every day. Just like probably once or twice a week. I dont vomit at all and i dont' ever feel nauseous. I also started to notice that I bruise more easily. I am not tired at all as long as I get enough sleep. I ususally sleep for 8 hours and 30 minutes to 9 hours, which is normal I think. I don't feel weak and I still have enough energy to do the things that I need to do every day. Sometimes I get headaches but not every week. Maybe like once every other week and some weeks i don't get headaches at all. So i am very worried and scared about going to the doctor. Because I am afraid they are going to tell me that they think I have kidney disease. Do you all have any of those symptoms? If so what stage of kidney disease did you get those symptoms at? I am just so scared that I could be at stage 4 or 5 already and not even know it. I just found out I have high blood pressure too, but I didn't know i had it so it has never been treated before. I am going to get blood pressure medicine at the doctor too. I will just be really depressed if I really do have kidney disease in addition to high blood pressure. 

0 likes, 172 replies

172 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Megan,

My husband was just  diagnosed stage 5 due to IgA  Nephropathy  auto immune disease basically came on out of nowhere .

It was diagnosed by a  biopsy only after numerous test. He is 55 w/m healthy.

No  diabetes , no  hepatitis and is keeping food down. Yes there was  protein in the urine, lots of bubbles.

Doing a stem cell treatment as I write this, they did a treatment like chemo to kill the IgA it was a rough night, he is sleeping and doing the stem cell tomorrow.

will keep you update on treatment.

kidney doctor wanted to do  dialysis ASAP, he refused. 🙂?? seeking the non  traditional treatment FIRST......

I will pray for you, if this works I plan to spread the word. 

We are in the US at a hotel doing this........

• Posted

Fo got to add. Drink beetroot juice for the high blood pressure. It worked great for my husband. Invest in a BP machine Amazon. Vive Precision 30.00.
    • Posted

i can't read your first comment because it says that the comment is waiting to be moderated. But thanks for the advice. i will try that juice if i can find it in the store anywhere. and yes i do need to buy a blood pressure machine so i will check that one out on amazon. 

• Posted

First take a really deep breath and try and relax! As hard as that is you can’t stress until you know. I am 42 with high blood pressure and just found out in January I have (CKD) stage 3b. I had never heard of it never had any symptoms just my blood work was coming back with high levels. I freaked out looked at every scenario every symptom. I had to have an ultrasound and she spent more time on my right side than my left and I freaked out again.... FYI if you have this done your liver and bladder are in that area and they do spend a little more time there. Anyway long story short my levels should stay where they are an not be concerning I just have to be tested every 3-6 months since all my other test came back ok. There are many people with these stages that have no clue they even have it. It sucks because it’s scary but in all actuality it’s really not that bad if it’s just levels which could be your high blood pressure you never know! Don’t stress until you know and just breath!! Good Luck!!
    • Posted

Hi Kelly, stage 3b here too.  Same action plan as you, to be tested every 3 to 6 months.  You mentioned you found you were 3b because of high levels?  When you say you were diagnosed because of high levels, I assume you mean high levels of creatinine.    Mine is in the range of 1.8 to 1.9 most of the time, but was fortunate this last test it was 1.62.  
    • Posted

Yes Primary Dr. started watching when my levels were going up. Thankfully it is just at 1.3 but my BUN keeps going down it is now at 42. I’m hoping my levels next check will be a little better I was a huge Ibuprofen user and I was taking Omeprozol which they say has been causing kidney problems and then add my high blood pressure... So we will see. I’ve stopped stressing for now and will wait to see what my next results will be and hopefully it was the medication! The BUN is what they goby when they figure out what stage you are at. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice and i will try not to stress out until I know. I would just be scared if I did have kidney disease though because dialysis sounds scary. I am just really scared of doctors and needles. And yes i guess it could be my high blood pressure that is causing me those symptoms that i listed above. or i guess it could be some other problem that i have instead. I am just scared to get tested for kidney disease. But i know its important for me to go to the doctor and get tested for it since i think i have it. I know i should try my best to be brave. And thanks for wishing me good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi Megan you’re like me love to self diagnosed.I had this problem of itchy feet every night doctors did some blood test I don’t think she include blood test for kidney my Liver function test came back above normal so need repeat it in 6 weeks time.This past few weeks I’ve been very anxious and emotional wrecked because when I google, it will just lead me to chronic autoimmune liver diseases it’s really upsetting but later on I’d overcome the fear of having liver disease though half of my mind is telling me I have it.Today, anxiety attacked me again my left hand is getting bigger (swollen/water retention)a year ago been to the doctors because Of my swollen hand but that time it wasn’t as bad as now blood test last year it all came back normal so the doctors were not bothered about my dwollen hand anymore.But if you look at my left hand today it’s so alarming and one of my friend mentioned I might have kidney problem as well...God I don’t know how will I cope with both liver and kidney diseases😞....But I’m still trying to calm down and convincing myself I’m still ok,it’s really difficult I still cry most of the time because I’m always thinking the worst but there’s nothing I can do but wait...I can’t see the doctor until May 11 because I need to wait for that repeat LIver function blood test but I will make sure that doctor would do me test for kidney too.I know you’re worried I’m in your position,it’s difficult but as what my husband told me “stop worrying about something you don’t know you have or you don’t even have you’re just stressing yourslef which is not good for your body,wait until a doctor tell you you have it and then you have all the reasons to be upset and scared”

I’m still scared but trying my best to feel better hope you too.

I have a question for the lovely people here if water retention caused by kidney disease does that mean you’re already in the late stage?.I also get lower back pain on my right side every now and then,actually I’m having it now as I am typing these,feels like the pain from lower back will connect striahgt to my legs down to my ankle.I’m 31 but when I was on my 20’s I always get urinary tract infections as well.

• Posted

Fhame

No water retention is not a symptom of late stage kidney disease.

Both you and Megan should stop worrying and wait for a true diagnosis before you guess yourselves into an early grave through stress!

Hardly any of us here have either of your symptoms this should be very reassuring to you both.

Enjoy life!!

Best of luck x

• Posted

Everyone does a bit of worry about different things their body does, but you have done the right thing and went to a doctor, who obviously is not alarmed or they would not be waiting for six weeks.  There are a lot of reasons for water retention and yet you jump to CKD, a most severe problem.  Relax.  Let me tell you about my father.  In his 40's he started to get water retention on occasion. His showed in his ankles, feet.  Which is usually where retention occurs first, not the hand.  He just needed a diuretic and lived happily until he was 92.  You have what you believe to be retention because of kidney disease, is a stretch since you get it in just one body part, and in just one hand, and nothing in feet.  Relax.  You a likely to do yourself more problems with worry than with what may or may not be wrong with you.  Also, I do not know if you know this but water retention in hands, can be tied to pms.  It is not unusual.  Do a search on google and then you can worry about that instead of ckd.  All will be well.

• Posted

Yes i will try not to worry until I go to the doctor. I guess i was just worried because i saw on some websites like The National Kidney Center that some of the symptoms of kidney disease are skin color changes,  muscle twitching, dark urine, diarrhea, and easy bruising, which is what i have. I guess everyone that has kidney disease must have different symptoms though. But yes i could have some other kinds of problems instead. I will try my best to keep calm until I see what the doctor says though. 
    • Posted

Yes i always self diagnose myself. Sometimes I am actually correct when i self diagnose myself though. I just hope that I am not right this time because I would be very upset. I know how you feel too because i am very scared about going to the doctor because I'm worried about what they are going to say. Thanks for saying that you hope i feel better. I hope that you feel better too. 

• Posted

Hi Rick 

Thanks for your wonderful reply,I know I should not worry until the docotor tells me I have a serious disesass but sometimes can’t help not too.I am really a worrier and I thinkI was born like this.I’m calming a bit now not as bad as the first time I received the doctors’s letter can’t sleep and eat properly but as the days gone by I feel a bit better and better my husband and family are always there to comfort me and telling me that everything we’ll gonna be ok and it’s helping me a lot.

About your Dad wow that was amazing that he was fine until he was 92,did they find out  what was the cause of his water retentions?You mentioned he had it occassionally so does that mean it come and goes?mine is not since I noticed it last year it’s been there and never went away and one year passed my hand is even bigger/swollen now  than it used to be when first noticed it.

I’m still hoping and praying that everything I’m having and feeling right now are just something doctors can sort out easily...I will just wait and hope for the better.

• Posted

Hi Megan may I ask how old are you?When it comes to being anxious of the possible diseases that we got and self diagnosing we’re really the same (sometimes people might think we’re crazy right?)...But our difference is that you’re scared to go to the doctors because you’re worried about what they gonna say,Me I want to go to doctors because I really know what’s going on with me....Hopefully you’ll get your Doctor’s appointment soon and you’ll keep us posted...I’ll do the same thing...This is a lovely place to go a lot of wonderful people...
    • Posted

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply,I’m not worried than I used to few weeks ago.i know all I have to do is wait and I already accepted that fact.sometimes just can’t help but asked other patients that’s experiencing the illness that I think I might possible have.

Again thanks for your reply much appreciated...Hope all is well for you.🙂

• Posted

His retention was never attributed to any kind of disease or condition.  It was his nature.  Always remember that everything you read on the internet is true for some people, but certainly not all.  Just as we come in all colors, shapes and sizes, we also are all different.  Everything you read is the "average" person, the "normal" person, etc., but it is NOT every person. I am certainly no doctor.  But if you have one hand that seems larger than normal to you, and only that one part of the body that is swollen, this does NOT fall into the average, normal, typical person with CKD.  And what has your doctor said about it?  Certainly after a year they must have formed an opinion.  Also, if you do not like that opinion, get a second one.  It might not even be any kind of "disease" at all but simply something not quite right, or damaged internally in the hand.  I can give you a great example.  Myself!  My doctors advise me to monitor my ankles and feet for any swelling.  It would not be an emergency, but to monitor and at my appointments to let them know if I had any occasions.  They actually measured around the base of the toes, the middle of the foot and the ankle.  They gave me the readings.  I told them ahead of time that my left foot has always, as long as I can remember, been slightly but noticeably larger around the middle, than the right.  The poked and prodded and said it is not retention, it is just my nature.  I was only always aware of it when in the process of buying shoes.  To get a pair that fit the different left from the right.  Even as a teenager.  Things happen in our bodies that are not medical problems.  My feet.  My fathers retention.  Do not be over analytical, ask the professionals, read your blood tests, these are what matter medically.

• Posted

True Rick

And dont forget we are all left side or right side dominent so often our strongest side is usually bigger due to being used more!

Hand swelling could be due to repetative strain, overuse, carpal tunnel inflamation, lack of use..... etc etc

Looking forward to hear what your Dr says and hopefully you getting the All Clear 😁

• Posted

Absolutely! And, actually, as a researcher in my profession I would go one step further and say that "normal" is just a statistical number, essentially. In other words, no person fits the statistical definition of normal. So our blood test data and all other data falls into ranges. That means that are doctors are looking for our data to fall within s specific range which is considered to be normal. Our data will fluctuate some on a daily basis. The issue becomes whether the preponderance of our data falls within the normal range. If so, were go to go. If not, we'll need a treatment plan of some sort.

Our jobs are really threefold:

1. To identify doctors with whom we can work; who are knowledgeable and we can trust 

2. To get to them regularly for appointments so they can run the needed tests and manage our treatment plans 

3. To do what they tell us to do; then let them know how it's working--how we're feeling and functioning on a daily basis

Naturally we all hope for a cure with whatever is ailing us. But that is not always posdibke. So the other focus is a treatment plan that has us feeling and functioning well as much of the time as possible. Most of us participating on this forum have chronic medical issues--no cure. That can certainly be quite depressing and anxiety producing. However, many of us have found that effective treatment has lead to fairly good overall quality of life. (I'm still working full time and feel well most days. My renal function is quite low now--eGFR of 18 with creatinine of 2.75.) but I call feeling and functioning well a win. And every day that I'm still off dialysis is a blessing.

Marj

• Posted

Like you Marj my mum has also managed to find a way to live well.

Since she has been taking her nutritional suppliments i.e protein drinks and puddings her egfr has stabilised at CKD4 from 14 to 19, she has put on some weight and her nephrologist has cancelled her appointment for her fistula!

She is soo happy. Im hoping I can stabilise early too. Ive given up smoking, now watching my diet but I wont know just what to cut back on until my next neph appointment.

Positive attitude is the key... i personally believe you have to be in controll your probs not let your probs be in control of you.. healthy brain = healthy body 😁

• Posted

Absolutely! So glad to hear how well your mother is doing!

Marj

• Posted

I am 30 years old. How old are you? if you want to share your age that is. If not then that's alright too. And yes i worry all the time about everything as well. And yes I'm worried about what the doctor will say. But i know that I need to go. Because if there was something wrong then maybe they can catch it before it gets worse. And yes i will keep you all posted after i go to the doctor. I also hope that your doctors appointment goes good.

• Posted

I’m 31 Megan turning 32 this August...We’re almost the same age aw well...
    • Posted

Oh that is cool. I will turn 31 in September. Well I hope that everything goes good at your doctors appointment. Hopefully you and I will both get good news

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.