I think I have PR

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm fairly certain that I have PR. I had a patch about the size of a £2 coin on my upper arm for about 10 days and thought it was discoid eczema, I treated it with E45 but it didn't go.

About 12 days later I was covered in smaller red round patches, at first on my upper arms and upper back, a few days later it spread to my chest, tummy, groin, inner thighs, lower back and a few patches on my cheeks and hairline.

I'be been to my GP twice, at first she was intrigued and said it was possibly eczema or ringworm, she gave me an anti-fungal cream and strong moisturiser, she told me to come back in a week if it didn't go. During that week it suddenly became intensely itchy all over and worse when I got hot or had a shower. I went back a week later and it was far worse in appearance, I asked the GP if it could be PR and she said no chance as PR doesn't ever itch and I didn't have a xmas tree shape on my back. She gave me a tratement used for psoriasis.

I am still convinced that it is PR and I have read a lot on the internet that says it can itch. In the last week the itching has been unbearable and the rash has become suddenly scaly and itchy. I have been taking anti-histimaine pills that don't really work and have bought steroid cream instead of the stuff the doctor gave me. My fiance's sister is a GP and she thinks its PR, looking at photos on the internet they mostly look like the rash I have. I have bought some selsun blue after reading about it here but not tried it yet as I don't think it will help with the itch. I'm hoping it will go away and stay away as I get married in just under a year and have quite a revealing wedding dress!

Good luck fellow sufferers!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I had PR many years ago now, but it didn't itch with me, although I felt a bit run down and unwell.

It lasted less than 6 weeks with me, so hopefully you will be clear for your wedding if this is what you have.

I didn't have a Xmas tree pattern either.

• Posted

Your GP sounds exactly the same as mine, shoe_shopper. He point blank refused the possibility of PR because my herald patch was not on my trunk and I didn't have an obvious christmas tree pattern on my back either.

Be assured, it can and does itch for many people. At its worst, your skin is flaking off, how can that not be itchy?! For me one of the worst affected area was my neck and so I had to live in polo neck tops to cover it up - SO itchy.

You are probably doing just the right thing, the anti-histamines will help with the itch and I've heard a lot of people on here recommend steroid cream (as a relief rather than a cure in most cases). Don't let your GP shove anti-fungal treatments on you. Ride it out, good luck, you've got a lot of support here.

xxx

• Posted

Hi

I too have been to an emergency doctors appointment tonight as the rash has spread over the last couple of days across most of my body and now on my face.

The itching was really hard to deal with so I went to Boots and they gave me Liquid Paraffin cream - do not use this as it actually insulates the heat and makes the itching worse.

I was v lucky as the doctor I saw knew what I had instantly, we even looked at photos on the internet together!

He has given me an anti-histamine prescription but I am going to do a couple of things suggested such as the anti-dandruff shampoo and take a zinc tablet as this really helps your immune system anyway so may help to speed up the recovery of the condition. He also suggested to stop using soap as this will make it worse and not to use sponges or scrubs in the shower.

I made a decision when I left the hospital tonight that I really must try not to be miserable with this condition as it clearly does go and hopefully doesn't re-occur plus in a way I was pleased I knew what it was as it could have been something much worse.

Hard I know but I have a great life so don't want this to get in the way of that.

Good luck!

x

• Posted

I started having symtoms (rash on my upper thighs) in late November 2008, and at first thought it was just a detergent allergy because it did itch something awful. I never had a Herald Patch (apparantely uncommon from what I've researched). My PR stayed confined to my legs for several months... In March I noticed the rash spreading down my shoulders, and eventually down my back, and across my abdomen. The only places on my body that seemed to be safe where my forearms, the areas that panties cover, and thank God my face. I spent all of March and April looking for ways to keep my rash covered from the outside world so they would not think I was contagious. Work was difficult in that I normally wear skirt suits or dresses, and that option was out.

My doctor originally thought it was allergic reaction as well, and had prescribed something a little stronger than benadryl to help fight the itching. Other than that I did nothing, and by the middle of May my skin is finally clearing and without leaving marks, which I am very thankful of.

It's a crazy condition, and my experience was not typical - it lasted longer than 12 weeks, closer to five weeks, I never had a herald patch, and it started down my legs, instead of my back. I'm just glad that it's finally gone.

Hang in there, I know how embarassing, and irritating this time is for you, and just know that it will run it's course!

Take Care!

• Posted

I'm am now in my sixth week of PR. I too went to the doctor who thought at the time was an allergy, prescribed E45 etc. A week later my torso, all the way up to my neck and back was covered then down to my legs. Luckily a few of the consultants at work informed by it was PR and there really wasn't anything to take and that it would just go by itself so I didn't bother going back to mu GP. For me the itching is unbearable, no matter what I try I cannot stop the itching. I thought it was going a week ago but then flared up again. I do find that oat baths are quite soothing. The recent sunny weather has helped to, the rash is going but leaving behind flaky, itchy skin.

I'm just hoping that it doesn't last for months.

Just remember us sufferer's know how you feel, so keep in there!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.