I Think I have ROCD for over 10 years now

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, first let me tell you that english is not my first language, so i'm sorry for my bad english, and this is a 10 year problem so it will be long but i will try to shorten it out..

It all started from nothing, I was only 16 or 17 years old, I was dating my high school boyfriend for about 2 years... He wasn't the best boyfriend, he used to put me down and made me believe that I didn't deserve anyone else, Sometimes I thought I was in a state of depression because I felt lonely because he didn't let me spend time with my friends (Who I lost because of that) I couldn't wear cleavage or paint my nails and the justification he gave was that I wasn't considered an example of a good girl before dating him as I had already had a lot of boyfriends. I accepted this for a while, but in our last year of dating it was basically me running away from any physical interaction with him, making excuses, I just wanted to be alone at home, sometimes I think I hated him but I felt trapped, looking back I think that my ROCD started when an ex boyfriend tried to interact with me, he asked for my number and i started to fantasize that maybe i would like to try again with him and be with him so i broke up with my boyfriend but I immediately regretted it and I thought I was the worst person in the world for having done that, I shouldn't have done it. I was so afraid that my ex would find out that I thought for a second about getting back to him.

My high school boyfriend forgave me but my hell started, I suddenly had the urge to confess everything that my mind thought was wrong that I had done all my life.

All the thoughts with other guys, all the thoughts I had about how thin or ugly he was, about an uncertainty I had about my sexual orientation that I had never told anyone or even cared about, everything now mattered in my mind, but the worst thoughts were always about my ex, so I started doing rituals not to remember him: I started to dislike names with the same initial as his name; all the smells that reminded me of him I eliminated from my life (or tried to); I came to hate the color of his favorite t-shirt, and in the middle of it all I met the perfect person I'm still with today.

I feel bad for having met him in the midst of my mental chaos but I couldn't help but be with him, getting to know him and being happy! whenever I was with him all my thoughts disappeared and only came back when I got home and I was alone, I was so in love like I had never been before... until the thoughts started to invade my head more "maybe you don't like him , maybe you like your ex for whom you almost left your last boyfriend"; "What would it be like if you were now with your ex?" ; "I think he looks like my ex, did I pick him for that??" (btw he is not)...

I had so many thoughts, millions of thoughts and I had to confess them to my boyfriend!

I also had some manias like washing my hands or taking a shower after a bad thought... I felt better and prepared to start again for a while but soon it passed away and I had to wash my hands again. Another ritual was to line the bed limitlessly with a closet before I went to bed or I could dream of my ex, cleaning the house until it was shiny also helped me feel like we had a clean new start and at times it was super tiring.

So I confessed to my bf that I had this thoughts and manias about whether I would like my ex but he (my bf) was the one I loved with all my heart. I felt capable of dying just for having such thoughts! even now as i write this i feel shattered and with my anxiety at the highest level even after taking a lot of valerian.

He was devastated too and began to suspect me, that I would like my ex and not him. He tried to break up with me but I think that deep down he knows that I only love him and that these are just thoughts. I tried to talk to him about ROCD and how I thought it was my problem and he said my problem was maybe liking someone else and not him - it didn't help my state at all - so I had to stop sharing with him how i felt so i wouldn't lose him - I couldnt lose him, I still cant lose him, I only wan't him, and make a life with him, I just want this thoughs out of my head!!

he hasn't known for 5 years that I still have this problem! If he knows I will lose him because he doesn't realize that this problem exists and that it wasn't invented by me!

Right now almost every day I have to check up on that ex's page to see how uninterested I am with him. He's not an attractive person, he's married with kids and sometimes I have the voice in my head saying that's why I don't leave my boyfriend because he has a family now but that's not true.

Sometimes I think I don't have ROCD and i just like my ex but immediately i know how much i love my boyfriend and I spend hours and hours on this wheel and that causes me so much disgust and anxiety!

How could I like my ex if that makes me feel so unhappy???

I look at my boyfriend and I just want to be with him, I love him and at the same time I feel anxious and afraid to leave him for my ex.

I have been taking valerian to calm anxiety and 5-htp as a daily supplement for about 2 weeks now

and I decided to share my story to get some support as I never told anyone! I am immensely ashamed and afraid that they will think like my boyfriend: that I am interested in my ex!

To alleviate my thoughts, I sometimes think about having a child with my boyfriend and getting married, but this psychological condition of mine scares me and I want to be 100% for him and for our child, even if the idea of having a child make me forget everything i fear i'll never be a normal person!

What are your thougts on my terribly boring story?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.