I think I have shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a rash on the back of my leg. I've had it for about 3 days now and it is spreading up to the bottom of my butt cheek. It was itchy and painful a week before the rash actually came out. Also when I would scratch it would hurt so bad. It is very painful to the touch still and I can't even sleep because the pain keeps waking me up at night. It has blisters and it kinda looks like a bruise around the rash. And it hurts like a bruise would. I'm scared but I don't want to go to the doctor. I'm afraid they'll just tell me it's "nothing" and send me on my way. I wish I could upload a picture maybe that way people will be able to relate.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yesenia,

Please go to the physician now as any rash that has blisters, especially waking you up at night due to the pain, certainly could be Herpes Zoster (Shingles.) You need to go to Urgent Care and get a ten day supply of either Famciclovir or Valcyclovir and start it today. The description of how it started sounds like shingles.

Please let us know how you make out.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am going the hospital probably today if not tomorrow and I will definitely post an update as soon as I get a diagnosis. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hello Juliana I went to see my doctor today. He confirmed it was shingles. He prescribed me Acyclovir 1tab 5xday for 7days. And Naproxen 1 tab every 12 hrs. I am just happy I got a diagnosis for I could stop guessing and start on my meds.
    • Posted

The sooner you get to a doctor, the better, especially with shingles.  The anti viral med is only effective if it's begun within 72 hours, but there are other meds which will help alleviate the pain.  You must get plenty of rest too.  If you try to "power through," you will get much worse.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.