I think I have shingles

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi so over the weekend I felt very fatigue and had chills but no fever that I know of thought I was coming down with the flu but then a few days later I got this weird pain on my leg and butttocks on my right one all day that specific side felt very tender and a weird pain next day I woke up and noticed a red dime size rash no blister but very itchy it looks like a hive right now maybe it will blister soon idk please help, what can it be ? I did have chickenpox 2 times my mom said which I think is also rare. This rash appeared on the same side same spot three times already it’s like once every 8 months. Please help 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Crystal,

The other three times you had this happen, did you get little blisters on the red area? Did the area under the red skin burn like a fire or was itchy? Do you feel fatigued and exhausted, with malaise? Do you have a headache?

It certainly could be Herpes Zoster-Shingles. I would go to A&E or Urgent Care for an evaluation, today. If it blisters, it truly sounds like Shingles. In that case, you should be placed on an antiviral for 7 days. You need to go ASAP so that the Antiviral can stop replication of the DNA virus.

You also need to rest and sleep. I don't know if you had severe pain with your other episodes. If so, you need to obtain a strong painkiller, as well.

Where do you live?

It is difficult dealing with this disease, but we are here to support you with any questions you may have.

Warm hugs,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, I do have a headache as I write this sad I have been extremely fatigue I was afraid it was also hsv2 but never had any symptoms of that. I looked @ it after you replied and yes it does have what you just mentioned sad Yes I did have pain the other times and extremely rash is always in the same spot. 
    • Posted

I am also very low on vitamin D I wonder if that’s linked by any chance ? 
    • Posted

Hi Crystal,

Low levels of Vitamin D are definitely linked to viral infections, including Shingles. Are you on a daily dose of Vitamin D3 2000 IU? If not, you should be.

Usually, HSV is restricted to the oral cavity, the genitalia, and the anal/ rectal area.

As you have the more generalized "constitutional" symptoms, and rash not localizing in the oral or private area, it definitely sounds like Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Again, you should start on an antiviral, within three days of onset of symptoms.

As you have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles, I would also Google High Lysine Low Arginine Diet and Herpes Zoster-Shingles. I have followed this diet faithfully for over a year, and have not had a severe, excruciating, agonizing episode for about nine months.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me, you have been the best help I’ve gotten in 3 years not knowing what was going on sad i get extreme pains on my legs since I was a child but no outbreak I never really knew why I got pains like that just suffered with it since I could remember maybe it has been linked to this the whole time maybe not. I am on vitamin D 3 5,000 units and another vitamin D 50,000 units that one I take once a week. Apprently I am very low like 14. The rash seems to be in the last stage. this is the third time I’ve gotten the rash on my right buttock, always same spot. I will look into the high lysine diet as well. I’ve been so afraid to even date thinking I have hsv but I really feel as I don’t fit in to having hsv. I will finally talk to my doc. 
    • Posted

Crystal,

The recommended dose for Vitamin D3 once you had the loading dose of 50,000 IUs, is 2000 IU daily.

I am unclear regarding the dose of Vitamin D3 you are taking currently.

It is possible to have too much Vitamin D3 and become toxic, FYI.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I replied under my own name sorry, i was answrring the vitamin D question i am sorry i deal with alot of anxiety dont mean to sound a little out of whack :*(
  • Posted

Oh wow good to know, yes it is 5,000 the D3 and the D2 once a week is the 50,000. So do you recommend not taking it daily ?
    • Posted

Crystal,

The body uses Vitamin D3 better. It is more bioavailable.

Take Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily.

That is the recommended dose.

If you are taking D3, 50,000 and D3 5000 IU daily for an extended period of time, I would tell my Physician and get the Vitamin D levels drawn, STAT plus liver and kidney panel done.

You can become very toxic on too much Vitamin D.

Hold taking any Vitamins until you get your blood results back. Vitamin D is fat soluble, and more dangerous, as is A and E.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

hi merry still got the rash on the same spot about three weeks ago 😦 painful. i was looking up secral herpes i guess its a thing ? i never had any outbreaks anywhere else and to be quite honest i dont have anal sex. so i am here still batteling this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.