I think I have stomach emptying issues

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’m sorry if this a long post. I’m struggling with worry and I need to share with someone until I can get to a doctor after the holidays.

For the past 8 days I’ve been having GI issues. I eat and for 2 hours I’m okay. Then I start to get bloated and feel full. This goes on for a few hours. for example last proper meal I had: ate at 1500. Heavy stretched feeling after 2 hours and then the bloated heavy feeling until 2000. At this time I had nausea then an episode of diarrhoea. Then stomach gurgling, acid reflux and stomach pain for another 3 hours. I was then was able to sleep and woke up in the early hours and had a more solid but still soft movement. I felt okay after that - no pain - except abdomen muscles soreness. My bowel movements are either strained with small amounts or very loose / diarrhoea. I can eat a full meal but I feel completely full. Over the last 8 days I’ve been in a cycle of trying a meal on one day, and having the episodes similar to the example above. Then I have a day of eating nothing as I can’t bear that experience.

I have the pain in my extreme left side just under my rib, a spasm flutter about 2 finger widths above my belly button. I then get pain on my right side, on my lower left side just above my hip and behind my belly button. In the week before this started I felt unwell: like I was coming down with a cold. I have an enlarged prostate and initially it felt like I was getting a UTI but that gave way to the Gastro.

I am a long term diabetic with poor control. I have had episodes of GERD type symptoms over the last few months: reflux, difficulty swallowing and food getting stuck. My bowel movement hasn’t really been normal for a while and I have had occasions where I’ve felt full quickly.

I think this is a stomach emptying issue. Based on my example above about eating at 1500 and then stomach ache going on for 8 hours: does that suggest it’s taking 8 hours for my stomach to empty? Is that bad? Could it be that I’ve had emptying issues for a long time but they’ve now got worse or that this is some kind of flair up.

Also I don’t understand how I can have diarrhea and problems with stomach emptying.

When I don’t eat for a day I feel fine - no pain or bloating- except that I feel leathargic and tired from not eating well. I’m trying hard with fluids which I seem to be okay with. I tried a milkshake and that was okay.

Also I take a range of medications including Amlodipine and Metformin- would these make things worse?

I’m sorry if this was long incoherent rant - I’m just scared and don’t know what’s going to happen.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Metformin increases the bile acid pool within the intestine, which may affect stool consistency, GLP-1 secretion, cholesterol levels and the microbiome

you might want to speak with your GP about maybe changing you to a different medication

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.