I think I'm getting to much medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I just talked to my endo's office and i'm going for labs today.  But I think I'm hyper.  I'm on unithroid and having lots of trouble with anxiety with it.  I upped to the dose about 6 weeks ago, I'm on .75 - 6 days a week and .50 on one day a week.  The anxiety started again at this does about 3 weeks ago, and now I'm anxious all the time, muscles in legs, arms, ribs, left should and arm ache, increased hot flashes, nausea, feel feverish, tired, very irritable, panic attacks out of nowhere.  I don't think this med is going to work.  I was on levoxyl for 12 yrs until they pulled it, then went to levothyroxine, but it started to go up and down.  I tried the levoxyl before the unithroid and had anxiety, but I may have to start at a lower dose and try it again.  Do this sound like to much meds?  

I'm concerned now that it will cause my heart to stop, but the nurse said no it won't.  

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was put on LEVOTHYRROXIN 11-12 weeks ago and have got 100% worse.

I have palpitations.fast heat beat.nervousness.restless the list goes on and on.

I don't have any special doctors.just the usual one.

I don't think he believe me that I have ll side effects which are not going away.

Sounds like you have a few problems with this medicine,.

I really want to stop taking it.

If your lucky you will be ok when you see your endo.

Mine is side effect's.your may be yours too

• Posted

Really sorry.

Thought id deleted one post.

Sorry

• Posted

Hi Karen

I'm sorry your having problems with the meds. I had problems years ago with my pcp that's when I found the endo. They know so much about it.

My endo pays close attention and has helped me with this and other things. Your doc needs to listen to you, you shouldn't be having hyper symptoms.

I went today for the blood tests, now I have wait til tomorrow for results. I think I'm going to see about changing the meds coz I really haven't felt great on it.

I hope you can get your doc to listen or maybe find a good endo.

• Posted

You give the very same problems as me.

Palpitations.fast heartbeat.just a feeling of total unwell.

Bones and the list goes on.

BUT I know my is the side effects of the awful levothyroxin.ive been on it for 11 weeks and have been getting ill since I started talking it.

Ive no nurse.no endo just the family doctor who does not believe in ill on this medication.

See if you could have side effects.

Or the great line.we need to up your dose.

Seems to be a typical answer.

Sorry not much help.

You take care

• Posted

When I was on these meds and the meds were way too low, I had severe anxiety. When the meds were increased, the anxiety decreased substantially. I had only mild anxiety prior to the meds, attributed to the hypothyroidism.

bottom line for me was too low dose of meds = anxiety.

hypo, without meds= minimal or unnoticeable anxiety.

high enough meds= more anxiety than no meds, but significantly less than low dose meds.

my dosing tends to be on the high side, as to feel well, I needed my blood work to be at or slightly above the top of normal range.

i suspect there's some sort of imbalance that happens, when you've got some, but not enough (meds) T4, and this causes the anxiety.

i wouldn't start messing around with the meds too much, as it takes a full three months for things to adjust.

looking at all your symptoms together, I woukd think that the meds aren't working. If your thyroxin is too low, your whole hormonal system shuts down and you feel like you're having hot flashes. OR, if your meds are too low, you can get your thyroid a ping up sporadically, and the beck can heat up. This feels like a hot flash with the weird cold clammy skin, but is really your body trying to compensate for too little thyroxin.its sweating to try and lower your body temp bc your body isn't able to maintain the temp without enough thyroxin.

For many people these meds don't work. You sound like you're pretty experienced though, with the meds, and you know your body, so you have to go with what your gut tells you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.