I think I might be depressed but Im scared to tell someone incase I'm wrong

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I want to go to someone to get a diagnosis but I don't want my parents to know unless I acctually have depression. I frequently feel sad for no reason and I seem to be unable to stay happy for more than 1-2 days. I keep distancing myself from my friends for no reason and I feel tired emotionally. I just feel so drained and tired with everything and it really frustrates me because I don't know why I feel this way. I have only self harmed once but It was only because I wanted to be feel something and be certain about how I felt and I guess I thought it would help me realise if something was really wrong with me or not. I am able to get out of bed to go to school in the morning but once I get there i normally feel tired and wait for the day to be over, but I still smile sometimes and people can make me laugh . I want a professional to diagnose me though because I don't want to self diagnose and i am able to get up in the mornings and get through my days,I just feel like it's pointless. But I'm not suicidal because I know that it would hurt my sister and my friends a lot if I died and I know suicide only passes the pain onto someone else. Anyway do you think i might have depression or am I just over-reacting, is there a way I could go to a doctor without my parents because I don't want to tell anyone anything until I am certain.

4 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charli

If you are in the UK, you can make an appointment to see your doctor without your parents knowledge. However GP's cannot give you a definitive diagnosis (other than generalised depression) or prescribe antidepressant medication to people under the age of 18.

• Posted

Hi, you don't say, how old you are? Are you in the UK?

You do need to go to your Doctor and tell, them al of your symptoms, in detail.

?The best thing, is usualy to write everything down, as you have on here. Don't leave anything out. Unless, your Doctor knows the whole picture. It's very dificult for them to help you. . I'm not sure why you don't want your parents to know??? Even, before you go to see your Doctor. Having suport is incredibly importment. Doing, things by yourself, is very hard. So, I think you need you need to explore why you feel like that. Doctor's can diagnose depression and give medication. But, it is possible that you may need to be referred to the Mental Health Team.

• Posted

From your post it seems you are either being neglected or there is something wrong in the relationship between you and your parents.  Depression has a very technical diagnosis and there are many different forms of depression with very specific requirements.  You need to tell your parents and other people around you about how you feel and definately see a doctor.

Generally speaking you must have certain symptoms of irritable mood, reduced interest in activities you enjoyed, change in your weight and hunger, insomnia and loss of energy and some other symptoms for at least 2 weeks.

But please talk to people and go see a doctor for the proper diagnosis and treatment.

• Posted

I suggest you tell your parents it really helped me going through it knowing that people know that you have depression or that you struggling just helps you depression becuase you dont feel as lonley and sad and to truly know if you have depression or not is to see if you still like the things you used to and to feel really bad and to be honest if you feel like you have depression then you probaly actually do to be honest just wait until your mind sayd okay i cant do this alone anymore..👍🏻

Please think positive and just know there are others just like you and suffering depression worse and as you know there are things worse depression so be thankful and know that life is beautiful just please keep smiling and laughing and eventually depression will go away but if it gets more intense with just feeling bad and just cry and your lost in life or feel that way i suggest telling someone like a friend that wll comfort you or a sibling but if you only have parents please tell them how you feel depression shouldnt be something you take in alone trust me all of us who repsonded and went through it is honestly so damn lonley and even when you tell other you still feel hell of lonley just hope it goes away and you wont be needing medication just dont worry to much becuase you could get anxious and have new problems trust me thanks for sharing and be postive..👍🏻🤗

Message me im always free..🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.