I think I might have stomach cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. My name is Kevin. I'm generally a pretty healthy person. So much so I haven't had to go to the doctor in years. I feel like I know my body and I'm so scared I have stomach cancer. I'm only 27 so I know it's highly unlikely and I know you shouldn't Google your symptoms but I've been in so much pain lately. It started about 2 weeks ago. I stopped eating very much, my stomach would start hurting like I was hungry, but when I went to eat I'd feel so full after just a few bites. Then I started to have nausea about a week ago, it didn't matter if there was food in my stomach or not. Yesterday I went to the ER because I had noticed I had lost 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks, the had nausea also turned to actually throwing up and the stomach pain wasn't going away. They ran blood and took an X ray. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and suggest I get a primary to order me an endoscopy. They prescribed me some anti nausea and antacids to take home. I wasn't able to sleep at all last night from the stomach pain. I thew up my prescribed medicine a few hours after taking them and I have started to see blood in my throw up. However I have been doing the act of throwing up without anything actually coming up so that might be where the blood is coming from. I've been to nauseous to eat is why my stomach is empty. My stools seem to be fine. If anything they seem to be more active than before, sometimes even 3 times a day. I don't know if I should go back to the ER or just wait, I can't even sleep the pain is so bad.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Go back to the ER, Kevin. You should not be throwing up blood without seeing someone soon.

I'm not trying to frighten you. The ER could arrange an endoscopy immediately, and they should. it isn't good enough to tell you to get an office appointment with your primary.

let us know what happens.

all the best.

• Posted

It isn't too much just trace amounts with spit or stomach acid or whatever it is. I thought it was weird they requested me to have one done but didn't wanna do it themselves. Thanks for the reply!

• Posted

You don't have cancer, You might have an bleeding ulcer but still I doubt that you have one, just erosive gastritis I think caused by H. Pylori. 

Anyway arrange your endoscopy to see what's going on if the pain is really really unbearable then visit the ER. Don't take NSAID medication! just paracetamol if you can't handle the pain. 

Try to calm down because your anxiety is over the roof now and it makes things worsers (I know that it is impossible for you to calm down but still try). 

Take your medication, H2 blockers for now 300mg a day! I would start with proton pump inhibitors as soon as possible. Maybe even tomorrow 45 minutes before eating. If you take them for one week you should already see an improvement. The acid is eating your stomach lining and you have to supress, that's why you are in pain. Its like someone throws acid on your skin, you would be in pain.

Once again, you don't have stomach cancer. Believe me... Report when you take care of your condition.

You should be fine in a couple of weeks when starting appropriate treatment..

• Posted

Thank you. This is what I really wanted to hear. I know I shouldn't think about it and anxiety is probably making it worse. I just kept waking up from a dead sleep from the pain. They prescribed pantoprazole for the stomach acid and ondasnsetron for The nausea. I don't know nsaid or h2 blockers are but I'll definitely look that up. Thank you for trying to help me.

• Posted

If you stool is not black you don't have major bleeding, I had erosive gastritis with blood for a couple of months and a bleeding ulcer as well and still the pain was alternating between severe and no pain. How much blood do you throw up, it could be just the irritation from the force of the throw especially if your lining stomach-esophagus is sensitive..

If you have H.pylori you'll be given antibiotics for 10 days and things should clear up.

• Posted

It's not very much as all. Just some spots here and there. I'm just not used to seeing that. Or throwing up at all really. I have read about h. Pylori but not till after the EL or I would have asked them to test for it. How did you deal with the pain? Was you able to eat with the pain? Thank you for your reply. I hope if anything its just an ulcer. Just super scared cause I'm normally so healthy.

• Posted

I was only in extreme pain when eating, otherwise I was in pain during the the day, but the pain didn't wake me up... If the pain is unbearable then you should definitely visit the ER. Keep taking your pantoprazole every morning and evening before you eat 30 minutes... Forget about H2 blocker if you 've been given pantoprazole.

NSAIDs are pain medication which you should avoid if you have stomach problems. If you want to decrease pain take paracetamol instead...

• Posted

Go back to the ER they should admit you and do an endoscopy on site. There are alot of things that could be going on, let them run the tests and figure it out, feel better.
  • Posted

Hello, so just an update. I went to my appointment and my doctor didn't seem concerned by my stomach at all. He kept saying he thought it was appendicitis and he wanted to run some tests on it. I mentioned that my side didn't hurt at all and that my stomach did then I mentioned H Pylori to him but he said he just wanted to focus on my appendix for now. However, before I left he said he will call me when he gets the results but he doubts it will show anything?? (Why do you think its my appendix if you don't think the tests will show it.) The prescription the ER gave me isn't doing too much either but he said it will take about a week to start working if it's stomach acid. He set me another appointment for the 23rd. Should I even go? Or should I look for another doctor.

• Posted

What kinds of tests did he do? How are you feeling?
    • Posted

He just drew blood. He got the test for the blood count fast and waiting on the tests for the appendix. I still feel like something is eating my stomach from the inside. It's still very bad in the mornings and kinda dulls out through the day but never really goes away. Nausea when I eat still. The weight loss seemed to be slowing down after I've lost 10 pounds. But Im 5 11 and weigh 110 now so idk how much more I could really lose.

• Posted

Update:

My last doctor highly suggested that I have an ulcer from taking goodys powder for a extended time (about 3 months) I had no idea they could ruin your stomach so much. After telling her about it she was so convinced that it was an ulcer, she just went ahead and put me on omeprazole and sucralfate. She said it could still take up to 2 months to heal but just having a good idea what it is and even what caused it has calmed my nerves.

So if your like me and take a goodys powder for a daily headache. Your probably gonna mess up your stomach pretty bad.

• Posted

Not really, goodys basically contain aspirin, aspirin and nsaids are known to irritate the stomach mucosa, once you mucosa wears off, acid comes to the naked stomach lining and starts destroying it. If humans hadn't evolved with a mucosa, humanity would never rise probably. Acid in our stomach is like a magma in a volcano but we are lucky to have the protection layer.

Now, some people take strong pain meds daily and never have stomach problems, some take one and irritate it. 

Quit aspirin and nsaids, take paracetamol if you have pain. For those who have stomach problems NO APSIRIN/NSAID's JUST DON'T TAKE THEM!

Omeprazole will do it's job and you should be fine on the long run

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.