I think i've ruined my urethra and subsequently my life

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a second urethrotomy in November and looking back I realize it was completely u necessary. My first one was back in 2003 I had a pinpoint bulbar stricture that i'm certain I had since I was a teen I am 44 now. Over those 13 years from my first surgey to my second my symtoms never really went away. I had urgency, frequency, and near incontinence at times, but I was always able to empty my bladder. I went back for cystoscopies every now and then to make sure the stricture wasn't coming back. The doctor was always able to pass the scope into my bladder with little resistance, but in my desperation for relief the last time I had a cystoscopy in October of last year I asked the doctor to do another urethrotomy just to widen the area out again and maybe take some pressure off my bladder. He reluctantly agreed and we went ahead with it in November. Imediatlly after surgery I new things were not right. I had imence pain at the distal end of my penis and I new I had been injured there now also. I went home with a cathater for six days. The last day or so I began to feel very irritated in the urethra and wondered if I had gotten an infection. I went in the doctors office got the cath removed and explained my concerns with the nurse about feeling as though I had an infection and that the distal end of my penis had been injured. The nurse sent the doc in and he seemed to not be concerned as if this was normal or something. In the six + months following i've never felt right again. I've had burning, itching, and pain throughout my entire urethra. Back in April went for a urethrogram with a different urologist wich according to him only showed the 2&1/2 cm narrowing where i'd had surgey. I think I went for the x-ray too soon as now I feel as though my entire penile urethra is closing up, it feels very tight and my stream is slowing down. I think inflamation has destroyed my penile urethra now also. And if that is the case am I looking at a two stage urethroplasy? So depressed should of left well enough alone. I hate myself and I have nobody to talk to about this my family don't care and they seem to be on anoyed with me when I talk about it. Oh, and to top it off I had to have a back surgery for a severe herniated disc that was causing me terrible sciatica and wouldn't you know it my feeling of near incontinence has faded.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gomer44, how are you getting along now?
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for asking. I've been experiencing alot of discomfort toward the end of the day after being on my feet for hours at work. My urethra hurts from my penis rubbing on my boxers as I walk around. Stream may have slowed just a bit. I have an appointment coming up in just a few days at the university to have a cystoscopy to see whats going on. I'm very nervous about it always worried I'll come out of it worse off.

• Posted

Have you tryed briefs.  Just try relax and try not to worry.  It may be just a form of prostatitis..  Please let us know   Ken
    • Posted

Briefs do help some. As for the prostatitis, I doubt it's that because it's pretty much the whole urethra that hurts and feels tight when urinating. I thought with prostatitis it just bothers the tip of the penis?

• Posted

Ken- I am a guy that is having a 2 stage urethaplasty . It has been a long horrible road. Had a utrethral surgery feb 24 2017 went bad. Graft failed no after care at all as I live in dallas had surgery in San Francisco by a supposedly skilled surgeon. Well it went bad. No one here I dallas wants to help me. Don't wanna take over another persons problem. So I found a very good doctor in Syracuse NY. Had stage one in May 05 2017. Waiting for stage 2 in nov 2017. Had buccaneers graft taken and it is placed in an opening they created and routed urethra there so I can pee. Peeing is ok but I constants working. Been to ER here 3 times since back on June 2 for fear of not peeing enough. They so ultra sound and bladder scan but say all ok. Only had one UTI couple weeks ago. But all cleared up. This waiting and bladder discomfort drives me nuts. I was in 3 suprapubic catheters since Feb surgery and a couple of urethra ones. No one takes your concerns seriously say it is in my mind or bladder is just sensitive from all that has been done. I am trying like hell to tough out these next several months.

• Posted

Yes it will take time.  Do what this last doctor tells you. He is at least   helping you with your problem.  I know it hard but try to relax God Bless KEN
    • Posted

Thanks Ken. It has taken a toll on me, work and personal life. People do not understand the odd bladder pains, wondering if you are passing enough wee even though you have had bladder scans and ultrasounds. Just annoying and tiresome. Thank you again!

Pat

• Posted

The only thing I can tell you is to try not to get yourself upset.  your going to pee whatever you pee dont force the issue.  But if you feel that your are not going enough.  Take a hot bath or a hot shower.and that should help you pee some.  Have some fun and try to forget about it if you can.  I will keep you in my prayers buddy  Ken 
    • Posted

Thank you again for responding. I am being as patient as I can. My poor bladder has been poked ref catheters and such and this new wee tube/ hole is annoying at times. I will have to tough out. Oddly having a good IPA beer helps to settle it and water. Have a good one!!!! Thanks buddy!!

Pat

Pat

• Posted

bout a minute ago

Ken- I am a guy that is having a 2 stage urethaplasty . It has been a long horrible road. Had a utrethral surgery feb 24 2017 went bad. Graft failed no after care at all as I live in dallas had surgery in San Francisco by a supposedly skilled surgeon. Well it went bad. No one here I dallas wants to help me. Don't wanna take over another persons problem. So I found a very good doctor in Syracuse NY. Had stage one in May 05 2017. Waiting for stage 2 in nov 2017. Had buccaneers graft taken and it is placed in an opening they created and routed urethra there so I can pee. Peeing is ok but I constants working. Been to ER here 3 times since back on June 2 for fear of not peeing enough. They so ultra sound and bladder scan but say all ok. Only had one UTI couple weeks ago. But all cleared up. This waiting and bladder discomfort drives me nuts. I was in 3 suprapubic catheters since Feb surgery and a couple of urethra ones. No one takes your concerns seriously say it is in my mind or bladder is just sensitive from all that has been done. I am trying like hell to tough out these next several months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.