I think its rheumatoid arthritis in my hips.

Posted , 6 users are following.


I am in my late 30s and when i was 16 injured my labrum cartilage. 

I had a bad gait since then. Corrected for a year by surgery and re-torn later and both hips have damaged cartilage and later the surgeon said a hole in my left bone causing arthritis, I think he said rheumatoid arthritis. It feels like my hips are very heavy, and not smooth to walk. I have little niggly pains in both hips each day. I have more problems if carrying weight.

I am worried because recently i thought i had an autoimmune disease in graves but maybe wrong diagnosis. I heard rheumatoid arthritis is an auotimmune disease and can cause graves disease. 

I wondered is it likely to be rheumatoid form because its overuse injury through sport.

What causes it? i mean as its an autoimmune disease.

Are their any cures or anything in the horizon ?

What kinds of natural substances can i take to keep it from causing more damage?

In the future i am holding out that they can invent some stem cell cartilage to insert into the hip and possible bone stem cell treatment. I am not sure it works at the moment without sufficifient cartilage already their. I have about 60 percent left in both hips my surgeon said and he said that the muscle alone would be good enough to fix my bad gait but after all his exercises i can say it isnt enough for me. 

I appreciate any insights

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Are there other joints your feeling any symptoms (hands, wrist, elbows, feet, etc)? Have you seen a Rheumatologist and/or had any labs done to check rheumatoid factor, ccp-ab, inflammation markers? To me it sounds more like osteoarthritis, but without having any testing done its very hard to say what kind of arthritis your dealing with. RA is an autoimmune disease which at this time as no cure, or for sure known cause, the best that can happen for us is remission. Best wishes to you as you continue on the path to finding answers...
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I remember I didnt have any tests done. I had a surgeon over confident in himself and couldnt finish my operation as broke his tool shaving off bone but didnt have a spare to finish the job. So wasnt a complete operation. 

      Are there tests should be done for osteoarthritis? this isnt autoimmune disease?

      Its a good question, I played a lot of sport so have pains here and there. I think really my hips are the main constant niggles though. The surgeon said the bone pressing on bone caused a hole and caused arthritis.

      I have stiffness i think from old scar tissue around ribs but apart from stiffness, thats about it. 

      Thank you. 

      I can ask maybe local hospital here in vietnam if they have any test like it. Ive never been tested. 

      I really hope science catches up and we get their before we get to mars. for goodness sake, The rich are living unbelieable lives but the rest are just picking up the pieces, it seems to me. We are on the verge of having robots but we are more concerned about building them than fixing out brothers and sisters.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Osteoarthritis isn't an autoimmune disease, but caused from wear and tear, injury, genetic, and I'm sure other causes too. They should be able to tell which one is in your hip by xray - MRI with contrast would tell for sure. Osteo is bad for sure, but better that than RA as it won't affect your heart, and lungs and you won't have to take DMARDS, or biologics which come with their own set of risks.

      RA happens worldwide so I would be surprised if your doctor wasn't aware of at least the rheumatoid factor test, along with the ESR (sedrate) and CRP (tests for inflammation), as well as a cbc (complete blood count). I do agree that science needs to catch up, but unfortunately there are so many unknowns about RA in this day and age and I'm not sure how much $$ are funding research around the world. 


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I Agree I think you need further tests as diagnosed with RA is a significant diagnosis which is life changing In some case

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You need your blood tested, people with rheumatoid arthritis often have an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate ( ESR ) or sedrate or C-reactive protein ( CRP ) which could indicate the presence of an inflammatory process in the body, look for rheumatoid factor ANTI - CCP antibodies.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up