I think my Bartholin cyst is infected

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, this is first time I’ve posted on any websites like these but I’m pretty scared.

Basically a lump appeared near the opening of my vagina a few days ago , I didn’t really notice it much as it didn’t  cause pain but now recently it has started to cause discomfort while going to the toilet, walking and sitting down. I decided to inspect the situation further and sat down with a mirror in between my legs, at first I thought it was spot like an ingrown hair since I had recently shaved, however it wouldn’t pop and only became more inflamed and swollen, I stopped and put some antiseptic healing cream on it ( it’s the only thing I had in the house). I did some research and came to the conclusion that I had a Bartholin cyst however I didn’t know if it was infected or not, I straight away had a warm bath and once again put more antiseptic cream in the area. However as the day went on the area became more painful and I decided to take another look at it and it swollen quite large - I decided to try and pop it again as I read that many people become sick of these cysts and decide to pop them themselves ( I now realise this was probably a stupid thing to do and has only made my situation worse ) I used a thin pair of scissors which I disinfected and gently pushed and scraped at the area. I think a little puss came out but the harder I pushed no more would come out yet the cyst was still painful and very swollen. I’ve decided to leave it now and place some antiseptic healing cream there (don’t know if this is the right thing to do). I’m going to the ER tomorrow morning as I want this situation resolved as fast as possible and wouldn’t like the cyst to become more painful or larger. I’ve read on here that many people get theirs drained and then a word catheter is placed - the only worry I have with this method is that in four days I go to another country to visit my boyfriend for a week since we are in a long distance relationship and only see each other every other month- I know this is dramatic and selfish of me but I wouldn’t like the cyst to get in the way of our sexual activities . Has anyone here had this Bartholin cyst but didn’t need drainage or a catheter being placed? If anyone else has more information on the topic please let me know! Thank you smile

*update*

I went to the ER and the doctor said that the cyst wasn’t too bad and wasn’t big enough to be drained, she said there is a head on the cyst (where it is most painful) that is filled with a small amount of pus and she compared it to any spot I would get on my face (acne), she prescribed me a five day course of anitibiotics but I’m almost certain my cyst will get bigger as it is already super painful. I also read on some other forums that people with Bartholin cysts will always get prescribed antibiotics first but that never does the job of clearing it up. I will continue to take hot baths and put some antiseptic cream on the area . I just hope this cyst goes before I go away but I’ve heard that most of them take weeks sad if anyone is or ever has been in a situation similar to mine please tell me your story and how you coped.  

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had swollen bartholin glands a few years ago and the gynaecologist said to leave them alone and they would go down on their own, which they did. I don’t think I had cysts but I would never pop or poke around in that area myself, the likelihood of making things worse or causing infection is too high. I know that if the bartholin duct becomes blocked, which causes cysts, you need to press on it gently with a warm cloth to unclock to duct.
    • Posted

Thank you, I know I did the wrong thing to poke around but I just hope it goes away on it’s own now and the antibiotics will do their job. 
  • Posted

Go to Walmart or Walgreens and get a tube  of Polysporin  its an antibiotic cream I sue it like 3 times a day until it clears. Don't aggravate it anymore which just caused it to swell more because of all the squeezing and such . I use it 3 times a day  apply right on it. next day wash with plain soap and water and apply again is what I do it clears it completely up with in 5 to 7 days but get better within 3.

• Posted

Thank you ,I live in the U.K and I use a cream called Sudocrem which is described as an antiseptic healing cream, I always apply it after a sitz bath which I do twice a day, I’ll do it more often smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.