I think my Escitalopram has has stopped working , what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

Tim here. I have been treated on Escitalopram for anxiety-releated symptoms since April of this year, and the medication was proving to help the anxiety until I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease in May. I was then immediately perscribed corticosteroids by the hospital, which played absolute havoc with the anxiety. I have since been unwell with an unrelated viral infection and I am taking Lymecycline for acne too, which became progressively worse since ending the short-course of steroids. I have remained anxious. I could do with your advice please. I have an appointment at the hospital next week to discuss treatment going forward for Crohns, however the anxious/depressive state I am in right now, I could not think of anything worse.

My Doctor says I need to give it a time for the anxiety to come down since I have been through a lot this past month before the anti-depressant will start making a difference again. Is this true? Is the anti-depressant going to start working again? Is the Crohns medication going to mess me up even further?

Thank you for your help,

All the best,

Tim

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Elliot,I am taken 15 mg of lexapro a day small amount of klonpin until the lexapro levels are established..Maybe your anxiety about the Crohns is causing you too feel like your lexapro is not working,I get very anxious with anything new or I receive any sad news but I found that lexapro helps me to handle the situation.I also talk with a great therapist as well as my psych doctor and he helps greatly.Good Luck to you and God Bless.
  • Posted

What dose of escitalopram are you on? 10 mg is considered the lowest effective dose; it's not uncommon for people to have to go up to a higher dose if they are still having anxiety.

?I'd probably stay at your current dose for a few more weeks, just to see if things will level out. I don't know anything about Crohn's medications, so don't know if or how it would interact with the escitalopram. I'd probably do some googling to see what any possible side effects of taking the two together could be.

• Posted

I'm on 20mg already. I could do, but I am not too fond of that option. I am signed off work at the moment and I am eager to get back to normal.

• Posted

As we all know, everybody is different. We all have different genetic and cultural traits, different people react to medication in various ways, our genes influence how well your liver breaks down medicine. Doctors do gene testing now to give you the right medication, I would definitely ask your doctor to get tested, it's very easy and quick, just a small saliva sample.

• Posted

Really? I haven't heard of this before. Is this through the NHS, is it a trial? Please tell me more!

• Posted

This is not a trial, your Doctor can perform this simple test, mine does. This will save you time and anguish. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.