I think my sindesmotic screw broke

Posted , 4 users are following.

First a little back story- I fractured my fibula with a dislocation and severed logaments playing roller derby at a tournament on June 23 (almost 4 weeks ago) My dr. told me to keep the air cast off as much as possible and to do my ankle excercises, which I have been doing.

So tonight I was making my way to the bathroom  on my kneeling walker, with no cast on, and while rounding the corner my wheel hit a dog toy and the walker tried to topple me. My reaction was to put my bad foot down to stop myself from falling. I beared my full weight on my bad foot/ankle and I think I broke the sindesmatic screw. My ankle was fine for the first few hours, but now it’s sore, hot, itchy and swollen on the side. Has anyone else done this accidentally and so early in the game?? Should I go see the dr or just let it be and wear the cast more? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yikes! I’m sorry you had a fall! It’s always scary especially when you have a broken foot/ankle. Anyways, since you did hear your full weight on your bad ankle to begin with, I would definitely just call your Doctor’s office and let them know. Usually they’ll be able to tell you if they think it sounds like you need to come in or not. Hopefully it’s nothing at all, but always better safe than sorry is what I say when it comes to this! Best wishes! smile
    • Posted

I guess I can give them a call. I’m trying to think it’s ok ‘cause I can’t afford to miss more work to get it removed or fixed again (surgery).  I’m so bummed. This is the second time I have broke my ankle in 4 years, doing the same thing. sad

Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Noooo, I would have doctor X-ray the site to make sure everything is still in place.  You might be lucky and just have severely irritated it, but if you did something bad enough, you could jeopardize your recovery outcome.  Like lengthen your recovery or limit it and not walk right.....ever.  That is what I would do anyway.  When the stakes are this high (your ability to walk in the future) better to know then just wait and see.  
  • Posted

Good news! I went and got xrayed and the screw isn’t broken!! Yay! I guess what had happened is when I stepped down hard to avoid falling, my muscles tensed and cusioned the ankle and foot. Thats why it was stinging, burning and pinching. Because the muscles have been soo inactive, that when they responded they were worn out and tired, phew. I am so relieved. 4 weekes into the game with a broken screw would have set me back a few more weeks I am sure. Cheers y’all !! 😊💚💜

• Posted

Yay for you!  What great news! I know you are relieved.  It can be so stressful not knowing what our own bodies are doing.  Especially when there is new and different pain. I’m so glad you did not lose any recovery time. Every day we struggle to get better is  well earned. Blood, sweat, and tears, literally.
    • Posted

Yay! So happy to hear that! I bet you are super relieved now! (: Now it's back to healing! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.