I think my stitches are coming out???

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just been for a wee and looked down as I wiped and there's a long string of stitch (still attached inside) but dangling out? It's about 2 inches long!!

There's always been what looks like a little ball of skin, with a looped stitch going through it.... That's still there but this long one is new! Should I be worried?

I've been bleeding since the op, worse since Thursday but I think it's a period! Could this be why?

Xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry Laurajadey just leave things how they are. It will sort itself out. The blood flow could have helped it on it's way that's all.
  • Posted

Matron obviously knows what she is talking about way more than me but my consultant did say not to be alarmed if I felt the stitches or if they completely come away on a pad or knickers ! X
    • Posted

Thank you Bunky and you are absolutely right about the stitches. Funnily enough I never ever noticed mine.
  • Posted

I rung the ward last night and the nurse told me to tug at the stitch and if it didn't come away, to ring back, well it didn't so they asked me to go in.

I went in and the registra examined me and pulled out a couple of stray stitches.

Today I've had yet more hanging out! She said in healing really well and it doesn't even look like I've had a prolapse, so they've done a good job.

Just alarmed at how many are coming out and I only had the op two weeks ago!! X

• Posted

They are coming away very early but perhaps you have really good healing skin. Have up to admit I wouldn't have given you the advice the nurse did but as I always say each hospital/consultant do things differently.
  • Posted

That's what I thought Matron!

The registra took it upon herself to confront the nurse who told me to tug the stitch, she wasn't happy at all about the advice.

I've just had another little look, it's hanging out about 4 inches so I'm going to trim it, it's pulling when I sit down - that would be ok won't it?

X

• Posted

Yes trim it, you won't do any harm and it will stop it getting in the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.