I think Prozac is making my anixety worse! Help please!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started taking 20mgs of Prozac for anxiety/panic 6 weeks ago. I was doing fairly well until the 4 week mark and I had a couple bad days. My dr upped my dose to 40mgs and things continually got worse. I went back to my dr after being on 40mgs for 12 days and he put me back to 20mgs. That was 6 days ago. Each day is progressively getting worse. I'm taking Valium to keep calm but I can't even leave the house without having an attack. Do you think the Prozac is making me worse or I'm still not leveled out on the 20ms. I'm so confused and at the end of my rope. I'm thinking about going off the Prozac all together, it;s so bad. Please help

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vanilla,

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you sad i wish your doctor waited longer before increasing your dosage! It's quite common to have up and down days for the first 3 months after started a med, even after you begin to feel better. 

Please please hang in there! Continue on the 20mgs and i think things will level out for sure. I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you though. Just remember you aren't alone and many people have been there and still are in that bad place. I was definitely there and it was hell. But things got so much better. I'm able to leave the house now and don't wake up in panic every morning. I'm functioning much better. xx

• Posted

Thanks so much for your positive words. I'm really going to try to hang in there. It feels good to know I'm not alone. I'm going back to my dr in two weeks. Hopefully by then I'll be able to tell if the 20mgs has leveled out. Its a living a nightmare

• Posted

I don't know why Drs keep going up on dose like that,if they took the medicine they probably wouldn't do that I would go back on the 20 mgs this is a very potent drug.

• Posted

Thanks, I've Ben back in the 20mgs for about 6 days now and nothing is getting better. sad

• Posted

You will have to give it some time your body got used to now it will have to adjust to 20 it will level out. I'm going up real slow on my dose.YourDr shouldn't have raised your dose so soon,they don't have to take it we do.

• Posted

I agree 100%, these docotors havent taken these drugs themselves so they have no idea what happens to us. I feel like now I'm on this rollar coaster of craziness.

• Posted

You will be fine I won't let my Dr up my dose like that I tell him I can't take it in a few days you will start to feel better but remember you body will have to adjust you will know it's happening so try to stay calm.We can all talk about this unless you are going through it people just don't know how you feel.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry you're going thru this. My advice would be to stick it out. This summer, I went thru a period of about 8-10 weeks of constant changes on my meds. I was on lexapro at that time. With any AD, it's really not good to make so many quick changes and I wish my doctor had known that. It really messed me up. Now I'm on day 22 of fluoxetine and while I'm still adjusting, I have come a long way. I think your body and mind just need time to get leveled out. Try to hang in there, I know it's hard. These forums are such a great source of comfort. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm going to try to hang in there and keep going. You're right, these forums have been a lifesaver! I just I know how long it would take for my body and mind to adjust to the dose. I wish I never upped to the dose, maybe I would have been doing better at this point, I think the change in dose, even for 12 days, really messed me up.

• Posted

I said those exact words when I was dealing with my doctor making all the changes - I so badly wanted to have a timeline of exactly how long the process would last. I can tell you that much to my surprise, I survived it, and you will too. Keep a journal of how you're feeling each day. Sometimes when we feel completely miserable, it's hard to remember that there are good days/moments. Hang on to those moments and know that there will be more. Hugs to you.

• Posted

Thanks so much! I'm trying to be patient and hoping to the see the light at the end of the tunnel. These last 6 days have been so bad that it seems like time passes so slowly. Like every minute of the day is a struggle but your response has really helped me, thanks again! 

• Posted

Hey guys - in total agreement with your thoughts on these doctors. Mine assured me that Prozac "has no side effects." Uh-HUH. I am on 20mg daily after a 7 month break, had no side effects the first go around and now they are laying me flat. I felt much better the first time I took it so I am trying to stick with it. I just wanted to say (again as I have made this comment in other posts) that pharmacists are absolutely wonderful resources. If you ever have any questions about side effects etc they're only a phone call away, my personal experience is they are much easier to get a hold of than any doctor! I have been blessed to have understanding, caring and knowledgeable pharmacists so if you ever feel the need, give yours a try, that's what they are there for! You might be happily surprised.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.