I think shingles for 2nd time, 34 yr old woman and scared, what should I do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm 34 years old and spent a month feeling very ill with no answer as to what it could be. The week of January 25th I had pretty bad chest congestion with yellow mucus and bad taste, later that week I started having a headache (pain behind right eye and in ear) that led me to stop exercising. The next day, Friday I woke up with nausea (no vomiting/diarrhea), ended up dehydrated because I had no appetite and felt sick, so I ended up dehydrated. Went to ER to help with hydration got a negative COVID test, no abnormality in bloodwork and was sent on my way.

The following week Feb 1, I started having chills, aches, vertigo (and being off-balance), random anxiety attacks, and waves nausea/fatigue, thinking it was a virus of some sort and new symptoms, I followed up with my PCP via virtual visit and she stated I should wait it out. By this time the mucus cleared up, the doctor offered me another COVID test, I took it, it came back negative.

Still feeling nauseated/low appetite, really bad aching on the sides of my trunk, and shooting pains in head mostly on the right side, along with vertigo/brain fog, I head back to the doctor on Feb. 11 for an in-person evaluation and the exam still revealed nothing, the doctor I am seeing never stopped to look at my trunk for shingles, but when she touched me there was some sensitivity. She prescribed me nothing, noted I might be anxious (of course I am because I feel poorly) and that my bloodwork was normal (although I have a history of low neutrophil count which she is aware).

The week of Feb 15 I noticed a burning tingling and aching sensation on my left side with a small red dots along a brown looking rash that might have changed colors because I never thought to look earlier. Later that week I started experiencing really scary neurological symptoms like tingling, numbness in arms, hands, feet, along with visual aura disturbances (flashes/sparkles), and a terrible aching pain in my spine (so bad it wakes me up at night).

So I head the ER again on Feb 18 to because of the numbness/weakness to be on the safe side. Their assessment is that this is something other than shingles (even after looking at my side/back) because my neurological exam is fine, the ER doctor insisted she try something for me because my regular PCP did not. I finished a course of Valtrex and 4 mg of prednisone and am still experiencing terrible aching pain along spine, trunk, nauseation/low appetite, weak/tired, and pangs of electric shock/tingling that make my body and head/thinking feel fuzzy and detached. The area on my left side is bothersome from time to time (itchy or pangs of burning/tingling). Nothing helps for the pain and the scariest part of this is I need to find a doctor who will believe me and look further. Does this sound like shingles? I had shingles along my T5 at 27 but only had a rash that burned/itched with a slight achiness...never the symptoms I've described. ER doc thinks MS or Lupus, but I am not sure I will even get that far because current doc will not treat me. Any advice is welcomed.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.