I think that I have Esophageal Cancer, I am extremely scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wanted to reach out and receive some opinions/assurance on a couple issues that I am having and see if you can alleviate some of my concerns.  I am a 29 year old male, average build.  I do not smoke or chew but do drink alcohol.

I have reason to believe that I might have esophageal cancer. And the reason that I say that is because in December of last year, I had an episode in which I tried to swallow a mouthful of food and it just got stuck in the back of my throat.

I tried to wash it down with some water and the water basically pooled on top of the food and didn't allow for the food to pass. Eventually I have to throw the food back up. Now since then. there has been 3-4 instances in which the same thing has happened to me. Although these instances were not as severe as the first time (I didn't have to vomit the unregurgitated food), I did find it to be weird.

Fast forward to today, I haven't had any issues with the swallowing of food, but i'm not convinced that it won't happen again. In addition to the issue with the food swallowing issue, I just got over a cold in which there was a cough. The cough has not gone completely away and it's not a consistent cough.

I also have a slight pain in my back in-between my shoulder blades, not sure if that is a cause of the possible cancer or if it is an issue of poor posture.

Any help would be great, I am very scared and don't know what to do.  I am scheduled for an upper endoscopy next Monday, but I'm scared and would like a little reassurance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

please dont be worried, I had esophageal cancer had my stomach removed am ok, but I really dont think this is your problem, I did not have any of those symptoms, and believe me when you worry so much it makes things even worse, also you would be very young to have this type of cancer, if you ever need anyone to chat to please get in touch as a surviver I would love to be able to help anyone who is worried. Good luck next week am sure there will be a simple explanation.
    • Posted

Vanessa,

Thank you so much for your kind and comforting words.  I am so happy to hear that you are doing well, how were treatments for yourself.  I really hope that is the case and that my anexity has only amplified my symptoms/concerns.  I would absolutely enjoy keeping in touch with you, you could be my voice of reason/comfort when I get myseld worked up.

• Posted

whenever you need someone to talk to I will be there for you so dont worry.
    • Posted

What symptoms did you have leading up to your esophageal cancer diagnosis?
    • Posted

I had no symptoms, it was just pure luck, I was on painkillers for something else did not feel well doctor sent me for a blood test, out of hours doctor phoned me at midnight to say my liver was shot and he was on his way to see me, they decided to investigate why I had such a reaction and decided to give me a endoscopy, this is how they found it early, I was told it is a silent killer as you do not normally have any symptoms, so please do not worry as I am sure it is something simple.
  • Posted

today monday, have you had your endoscopy yet? hope it went ok am sure it is not cancer so please dont worry.
    • Posted

So, we never found out the results of pcschult's endoscopy? My dad had those exact symptoms and what it turned out to be was a hiatal hernia. He had surgery and was fine after that. I wish we knew the results of pcschult's endoscopy.

• Posted

I am sure he would have let us know if it was anything bad, just to let you know to put your mind at rest, it happens to men much more than women, and does not usually happen until you are over 50 years of age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.