I thought exercise was suppose to make you feel better

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just got home from aqua aerobics worked myself quite hard. Get home and get the adrenalin surge, crying and wanting to smash stuff up. I thought exercise was suppose to release the good feeling endorfins. Why is it when I exercise I feel even more up tight than before I started. 

I ma getting really really fed up of all this. I keep trying and following the advice I get given but I feel as if I am gradually going down hill again. I feel as if I am not gettng any relief from cit. I try hard not to think the only way to get out of this rut is to give up........ 

Sorry folks but I just need to vent.

Tina x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tina,

Sorry to hear you're feeling that way. Are you still on Cit or tapering off? What's your current dosage? I remember that during that phase I tried to go off Cit, going to the gym worked me up even more than before.

Perhaps the short-term solution would be upping your dosage to calm your anxiety?

• Posted

I'm on 20mg and have been since around last september, it was upped to 40 but I had dreadful dreams and sucidal thoughts. The Dr reduced it again as she didn't want me to have another attempt.That was in February. I'm seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow so I am expecting my medication to be changed. I did go on Venlafaxine 75mg slow release for 9 days end of February but that too made me more suicidal. I am just getting so fed up.
    • Posted

There's a possibility that Cit isn't working for you. It has different side effects for everyone; it helped a lot with my anxiety to the point of making me dull, but killed my libido.

Depending on your condition, you might want to speak to your psychiatrist about a drug with as few side effects as possible. Wellbutrin SR is helpful in combating depression with fewer side effects than Cit, but not sure whether it's meant to help with anxiety. Buspirone could help for anxiety and it supposedly has few side effects.

• Posted

It will be my first appointment tomorrow, I have been seeing a CPN too, so I will have to wait and see what they come up with. I am supposedly clinically depressed, before it was anxiety and stress. I haven't a real clue I just want it all to go away. 
  • Posted

Hi tina I to have started to exercise...I play badminton and a good work out on court really helps...how long have u been on cit?I've been on 7wks in total and am starting to feel the benifits now keep at it as it does work...take care
    • Posted

Hi Ethan

See above I've been exercising since last August when I joined the local gym, swimminmg, aqua aerobics, various other classes. walking. I retuned to work f/t in January, Following the advice from GP, councillor writing a journal I just keep going round and round and round. 

• Posted

Have u changed ur diet in any way...I've started to eat a lot of walnuts...chicken.....and oily fish like mackerel and sardines seems to work for me
    • Posted

I am a very fussy eater, my diet isn't thsat great for ages as I just can't be bothered to really cook any proper meal, Live off beans on toast, sandwiches, fruit yoghurts, chocolate you get the gist. I am trying not to touch alcohol as that is definatley niot good but it does numb eveerything. I decided to stuff it and taken a 5mg of diazepam.
  • Posted

Oh hun...yeah I over the exercise thing too..pay $150 an hour for my psychologist to tell me to walk and breathe...sigh.

I have found though for me I usually feel the benefits a few hours after exercise.. I've never got that supposed instant feel good...I'm sure its a myth lol

Smashing plates against concrete is a great way to destress...great sound! Or some screaming ( im lucky to live on farm otherwise my neighbours might be alarmed lol)

Anything is good though... get creative. Hurt something else instead of you.... slash a pillow or rip up paper into confetti! And have fun doing it xx

• Posted

Hi Laura

I haven't got close neighbours either except sheep and cattle, Not my farm though other wise they would think I've been murdered several times over so living alone does have some advantages. I think the diazepam is kicking in #i feel very light headed now. Maybe I might start flying.....eek wow didn't feel like this before....

• Posted

Hi Laura

I haven't got close neighbours either except sheep and cattle, Not my farm though other wise they would think I've been murdered several times over so living alone does have some advantages. I think the diazepam is kicking in #i feel very light headed now. Maybe I might start flying.....eek wow didn't feel like this before....

• Posted

Hi Tina.  I know what you mean i used to be so good at exercise and motivation (pre citalopram) but in the 4 years i have been on the tabs i have gained weight and my motivation and will power is just crap.  I do hope you feel better soon xx
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm luckly not put any weight on but not lost that much either even though i'm not eating tht brilliant. Motivation comes and goes too. It is a real pain.
  • Posted

Awwww :-( all I can do is send hugs. Xxx hope you get some sleep. Trying to go sleep myself now. At least you tried exercise.... I used to swim 5 times a week, not been for 2 years.... Oh my god, I wish I could go back to 2 years ago :-( and time stand still. I still think chocolate, bicardi and zopiclone is the best answer I am gonna get..... Not saying it is the answer! Good night, vent anytime you like, we all understand xxx
    • Posted

Hi Chik

Hope your doing ok and not getting too low. Chocolate etc you should sleep well. 

You take care and look after yourself. xxx

• Posted

Thank you, did not sleep well and very unmotivated today. I think this is normal for us, remember it's not only depression and anxiety, you are grieving and no amount of drugs, exercise ect is going to help us wish those are still with us, or forget what we went through, I think it was only sept for you? That is really not long, wow if I think how I was 9 months ago, as mine was jan so 9 months before you, anything was really worth living for, and it does not get easier, but just not so raw and yes we will always miss them 😞 I think you are doing well under the circumstances, slowly we will get there. Rest day for me today I think, cannot face seeing anybody or listening to their twoddle! Xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.