I thought I'd post a comment after reading mostly negati...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I thought I'd post a comment after reading mostly negative opinions about this drug.

I was prescribed amitriptyline for chronic pain relating to costochondritis (inflammation of rib cartilage). This medication has greatly improved my quality of life.

Before I got this, I was in constant pain for 6 months, I was having lots of time off work, I was unable to sleep and generally in a right state. I'm a 32 year old fit and healthy female with a young son so I was more than happy to give anything a try.

Since taking amitriptyline I have been able to get back to work, start enjoying life again and best of all I can sleep at night - It's been fantastic.

This medication just changes the way your body deals with pain - really is just a low dose sedative. Yes it can make you a little bit sleepy, this happened when I first started taking it, but your body has to adjust and get used to the medication.

I now have a great nights sleep and it keeps my pain under control 24/7.

You do have to go back to your doc before you stop taking the medication, it's nothing major coming off it but you juct have to do it gradually to be sensible.

Hope this helps someone!

[i:c97d8db398]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c97d8db398]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your help
  • Posted

Hi

Nice to hear something positive, I've been very wary about having to take these tablets, Ive been prescribed 10mg to be increased to 25mg at some point for the sever pain I have in my back and hips.

I'm only on my first packet and only half way into it, I've started noticing a difference with sleep, I get a couple of extra hours now, but having noticed mood changes, but not sure if that is related to a few personal issues but this wil be something I will be keeping a very close eye on.

Oh and the pain in my lower back and hips is still there but hopefully after the next few weeks will go away.

• Posted

HI. I am happy to hear it has helped your pain. I have been taking 25mg AMi for 3 weeks now and I am still in pain during the day, though it does help me sleep. IMy doctor oroginally prescribed it to hlp with chronick neck pain and to up it to 50mg after the first week. I have not done so because I worry about being groggy. SHould I up it to 50mg to see ig that helps better for the pain?

• Posted

One thing to remember - one size doesn't necessarily fit all. Great to hear that people have had some positive experiences but there are a lot of negative ones too, but whatever the case, if you are being prescribed it, take it with an open mind and see if it works out. If it doesn't, change it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.