I thought I was having a heart attack!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday, I woke up at 245am with a pain in my left jaw, a feeling like someone was kicking me under my ribs at my heart, my heart was beating fast and hard, I was nauseous and I was having a hard time breathing. It seemed like the pain progressed with each breath. My husband called an ambulance.I wasn't able to lay down, stand up, sit without being in excruciating pain. I was laying in the fetal position expecting my heart to give out at any second. The spasms under my ribs made it impossible to breath normal. The paramedic gave me 4 baby aspirin and 1 nitro pill which temporarily caused all the pain to stop. It would start all over again every few minutes. The morphine they gave me in the e.r. didn't help at all. I had a cat scan with contrast and an MRI done. The doctors told me I didn't have a heart attack and they were puzzled as to what happened. Even asking me if I could've had a panic attack or acid reflux. I've had both but this was NOTHING like that. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

my attacks usually last for about an hour.  I also have a terrible cold pain go up my left jaw and into my head, as well. It's like the most painful brain freeze ever.  Once the pain even went through to my back. I have had those heart "aches" for my entire life, too,  and I have spasms/flutters every so often.  Always at rest.

The first time I did not. What a looney!  I went to my doctor, and she did an EKG. That was normal, which it is with Prinzmetal. This is so rare that many docs don't know about it. And since it is so rare, many docs act like you couldn't possibly be one of the few.  The symptoms are crazy... a normal EKG, normal blood enzymes, a normal Echo, a normal Echo with the treadmill test simultaneously, a normal stress test. normal blood tests, everything that they look for with heart disease is normal. And it is unpredictable when an attack comes again. So you are told to keep your cholesterol down, keep a healthy weight and exercise.

They will put you through these steps. When they all come out normal, you should ask for the iodine test. It's a little dangerous, but it's the only way to tell for sure.  Like I said, they will furrow their brows at you when your tests are normal. They will doubt you. They will make you feel like a hypochondriac. But stick with it.  Get a second opinion or more. It's worth it.

I have gone to the hospital for all of my subsequent attacks. I live in California and am used to earthquakes that we wait out to see if they will get bigger. So, I have a tendency to do that. I don't call an ambulance, since they are so expensive, and I typically have a family member home who can take me.   When you say you are having chest pains and think you are having a heart attack, they take you right back.  Whatever you do, DO NOT drive yourself. 

Each time the hospital has kept me overnight for observation. It takes 9 hours for the blood tests anyway. 

The worst thing for Prinzmetal is a beta blocker. They will probably try to start you on that.  If you have Prinzmetal you need a Channel blocker. 

I take one every morning.  I also now carry nitro spray in my purse.  It should stop the attacks once they start. My doctor said that if the spasms have not subsided after 2 doses to go to the ER.

Hope that gives you some direction.

• Posted

Well, it looks like I have a battle up ahead. But that's ok I'm up to it. It's my body, my life, my health. When I was diagnosed with Hashimoto 's, my doctor just wanted to give me a pill to take. That's it. I had to do my own research, I read everything I could possibly get my hands on, bought supplements, yadda,yadda. I really appreciate your advice on what to expect, what I should look for, what I should ask for, etc. It's all been very helpful!! Have you found that the channel blocker and the nitro spray have lessened the occurrence of the attacks /spasms?

• Posted

Sound like a good idea to do the testing.  Two years ago I had endoscopy, colonoscopy and MRI.  Really did not find anything but slight acid reflux.  Food really effects how I feel.  I do not eat gluten, and lot of things and if I cheat I am in trouble.  But I found if I don’t take care of the pain right away it effects my heart.  I know it has do with my stomach because if I use Tums it take care of it. 

Yes, chelation has saved me from being under the knife or dying.  I go to health doctor that knows way more about my health and what is going on in body than my Cardiogist. My Cardiogist told me this last fall he cannot believe how healthy I am without drugs.  It amazes me why my Cardiogist does not do these tests and know the same knowledge.

I had triple-by-past surgery in fall of 2009 by spring I had same pain.  What I found out after surgery was Chelation treatments.  I started taking them by May and what difference it made for me.  The heart surgery was just a bandage on my problem.  Angina is plugging up of the arteries.  I need something that would help clean them out.  I have also learn from my Health doctor (which is also md) what exactly is causing the plugging and we treat with certain supplements and Chelation treatments.

• Posted

Wow, I'm just amazed at this! This has definitely given me something to think about and check into. Is your health doctor a naturopath? I had stopped eating gluten because of my thyroid problems (hypothyroidism) but lately, I've been slacking. How frustrating to find out that the triple bypass was just a bandaid but it sounds like you've gotten some good answers on how to treat yourself when this happens. Thank you!

• Posted

Oh Lordy. I forgot about all of the other tests and the other doctors.  The gastro tests, the colonoscopy ,the galblatter, the liver,  the girly things...  gotta keep ruling everything out. And all the while they shake their heads at you and tell you that you are healthy.  Of course!!  I just have spasms in my heart haha.

With Prinzmetal there is no build-up in the arteries. They are fine. It is the squeezing that interrupts the blood flow and causes the irregular beat and massive pain. 

I take Diltiazem 30mg  it is the generic for Cardizem.  I don't know if it is helping, because I never know when I will have an attack. Ironically I had one on December 1st of 2016 and my son reminded me that the last one I had was on December 1st of 2015!  He knows, because it's his birthday!

Hmmmm. makes me wonder. haha

I don't know if your case is different or more complicated because of your Hashimoto's diagnosis.  That may play a part in getting to the root of what happened to you.

I have learned over the years that mine is connected in some way from a drastic and sudden change in heat/cold.  Each time I have been in a warm area and either ran out the door or opened it quickly to a big gust of wind or had the air conditioner in the hotel fire up in the middle of the night or have my husband open a window above my side of the bed.  Those have been the biggest attacks. So I am watching that.  See if you can find anything that correlates. (Of course these don't count for the little twinges and pains that come watching tv or resting. These are just the huge ones.)

Hope you get solid answers soon.

• Posted

Hi amy,

Wow 30mg Cardizem, they have me on 640mg, It is the same with me, severe heat , cold weather, even a puff of wind into the face and  stress, high emotional stress sets mine off as well, and like you have mentioned, can be just sitting watching tv or in bed either awake or asleep and ..... bang ..... out of nowhere it comes on. If the GTN doesn't stop mine I take endone after about 6-10 sprays of GTN, that taps the spasm pain on the head. I have mild blockages in a couple of arteries, 60% in the right coronary and 50% in the LAD so I also have mild heart disease, I have had 2 NSTEMI's a few years ago, that's when they found the first sign of a small blockage.

• Posted

Ya, I think your situation is far more complicated. I have a feeling I will be on a little higher dosage when I go back to the cardiologist. I haven't been there since I was last in the hospital in Dec.  As you would expect, the cardiologist who was called in on my case did not believe my cardiologist's diagnosis. He insisted that there was no way that was correct. Ugh.

Wishing the best to you

Anyway, 

• Posted

Yes I think cardiologists lke to out do each other,it's taken my current cardiologist 4 years to accept that I have coronary artery spasms, at first h didn't believe it ut I think the others talked him or showed him around.   I believe my cardiologist is head of cardiology here where I am and he is only 35 eek. I must admit he is quite good for his age,the only dcrepency him and I originally had was my initial diagnosis of PM

• Posted

Let's try that again,

Yes I think cardiologists like to out do each other,it's taken my current cardiologist 4 years to accept that I have coronary artery spasms, at first he didn't believe it but I think the others talked him or showed him around.   I believe my cardiologist is head of cardiology here where I am and he is only 35 [eek] . I must admit he is quite good for his age,the only discrepency him and I originally had was my initial diagnosis of PM.

I'm sure it's this site that can't keep up with our typing, I didn't do a spell check on my last comment redface, I have noticed it does it to other forum users as well.

• Posted

Hi amy,

I got to thinking, I wasn't trying to be smart about Cardizem doses between you and me, it's just I haven't heard many people on a low  dose. I was initially put on 60 mg twice a day and then it went up from there.

The main thing is that it's doing it's job with you, or had been.

• Posted

No worried.  Truthfully, I have never looked at the bottle. For all I know, I am not taking the prescribed amount. Or perhaps the ER doctor was pacifying me. I have been having several bouts of tolerable pain. I'm a little worried since I am in DC right now visiting my daughter. Gonna take those hot/cold weather transitions carefully. I'll see my doctor soon and see what's up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.