I to suffer from Burning Mouth Sydrome

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, my name is Joan and I to suffer from BMS.  First of all for the first time I feel like I am not alone in this.  I have been to many doctors and they just do not understand and keep trying different medications and of course nothing worked.  I stopped going to see the doctors because they really don't know. Not one suggected that it could be postmenopause. I have been suffering now for about 5 years now, its so hard to remember because it creeps up without you without really realizing it.  I though it was part of my acid reflex.  The best thing to do is your own research.  When I found this sight everything made so much more sence to me.  I'm not alone anymore.  That makes such a difference for me, that I'm not crazy. BMS excists.  Thank you all for sharing your BMS, hopefully we can get more people to join our conversation and help one another. Mornings don't feel as bad as the rest of the day.  It starts burning in the afternoon and just gets worse from there.  Some early evenings it gets so bad that I will take a sleeping pill and just go to bed. Not sure why they say alcohol dosn't help because sometimes a glass or two of wine I feel it can calm me down a bit.  Maybe stress has a little part of it aswell or it just takes my mind of the pain.  Anyway, hope to hear from someone and share our stories and not feel alone.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks to all the ladies here indeed. I truly feel without our sharing I’d lose my mind. I’m glad some of you got the Biotene I listed! The Biotene mint spray is still helping me & I find also that brushing teeth 3x daily minimum PLUS using a tongue scraper once a day helps the dry burning feeling. Like you ladies I get an irritated sore throat feeling, mainly after about 4pm like clock work daily! I have the same feeling vaginally!! Endocrinologist advised its due to low estrogen & OTC pharmacy feminine lubricants can ease that & are very safe.  

Anyone getting chronic UTI infections?! I’m having a very bad one that wasn’t treated with correct antibiotics...it came back with a vengeance & is so painful. Finally a great Urologist put me on the correct antibiotic 2 days ago & gave me handfuls of Uribel samples for bladder spasms & pain! It’s slowly improving...have any of you had UTI? Urologist told me it’s a Peri symptom due to chemistry body changes! 

• Posted

Hello T74985 thank you for your suggestion on Biotene and everything else. Yes last year was my year for UTI I think i got 5 UTI last year. It was horrible specially cause i hate taking the antibiotics. I was one the estradiol patch .025 i think that helped. I stopped using the patch and then i start going downhill again. I am trying to stay away from using patch because it was giving me bad breast pain and bad hair loss sad  . I went back to using it but i only do one patch a week. Its suppose to be two patches a week. This year for now i havent gotten a UTI thank god. I am glad you are starting to feel better. smile
    • Posted

Is the patch considered HRT? I’m very naive on the topic. I was told by my Endocrinologist to avoid HRT as my family history has estrogen fed female cancers. 

I’m at Estrogen if 9.7 very low! and FSH of 142 last month & now in March it’s 182 very high! My hormones are so crazy right now. I’m struggling w anxiety issues due to hormones they think and can’t seem to get over the hump right now. Spending a lot of time in pjs and bed😕😖 I feel anxious & weak . God please let this pass for us all. Thankful for you & others who understand.  ??

• Posted

Good morning yes patch is considered HRT and I like you have family history of breast cancer and thats what scares me sad . Ive tried to stay away from using it but sometimes its hard sad . Exercise has helped me. I drag myself to Gym right after work. 3 times a weeks. It really does make a difference. If i dont go at least 3 times a week i feel so tired all the time. It takes me alot to convince myself that i have to go to gym once i am there its not to bad and i dont regret afterwards. smile Different things work for different people I am trying all the suggestions that are given here. Alot of them have worked smile
  • Posted

Hello, Thank you so much for your post, I've been struggling off and on with dry eyes, crawling skin, shocky feeling, lights flashing in the corner of my eyes, tooth sensitivity and yes... burning tongue, and gums, my tongue and teeth sometimes feel too big for my mouth.

No one understands or believes me, my hubby thinks I am a hypochondriac. I am soon to be 59 years old, in January.

Nice to finally know what's wrong with me, and I am not crazy.

The burning tongue just began again tonight, it had stopped for a few months. I put tylenol in my tongue set to swallow it, and the burning started, so I looked and found your thread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.