I told my GP I think I have Bipolar disorder

Posted , 5 users are following.

1 month before I said this to my GP, I had asked her if she suspected it as a possibility as she suggested I stay on antidepressants for life to prevent further depressive episodes (ongoing since preteens. Now aged 30). She said there was no way I was bipolar.

She started me on AD's and 3-4 weeks later I was back seeing another GP complaining about my mood shift and massive spending spree. I initially thought I needed my AD's increased.

After this, I thought about the previous doctor mentioning depressive 'episodes' again. I researched bipolar and it described me to a T.

It seemed the start of AD's had possibly triggered hypomania/mania.

I became so focused on this and obsessively researched it and couldnt let it lie. I went back to see the GP who prescribed the AD's and told her my thoughts.

She agreed it is quite possible and was about to refer me to a psychiatrist when she saw the previous doctor had already made a referral (the doc I spoke to about my mood change and spending spree). She just added onto the referral that I was hypomanic and she wants a follow up appointment with me to gather more information to pass over to the psychiatrist. My appointment has came through before we have had this follow up. I suggested I stopped my AD's and she advised me not to just yet. I did anyway and feel better for it. I have been able to sleep again!

It is quite frustrating as ive suffered depression since age 10/11. Been on and off anti depressants since age 16 - none of which have really helped.

I think I have had them all! Why have they not referred me already?

Anyway, does it it take long for the psychiatrist to diagnose? Im actually seeing a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I might actually get the correct help so that i can have a better quality life!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Be careful , because when you get a diagnosis and if you have children , social services can become heavily involved when you become unwell
    • Posted

That is understandable. I would appreciate the help and support they would offer if I needed it. They have been involved when I have been unwell before. I was open and honest with them and to be honest, they were a massive help and very supportive. I would rather they be heavily involved than risk my childrens emotional wellbeing.
    • Posted

Well you've obviously had a decent social worker . They aren't all the same trust me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.