I took one dose of Amlodipine and thought I was going to die.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I do not take pharmaceuticals, preferring to take natural supplements instead. Last week I was under considerable stress and my blood pressure went up to 212/123. I was frightened enough to go to the doctor who prescribed Amlodipine at the 5mg. dose. Over the next few hours my blood pressure did go down drastically, but during that time I experienced dizziness, blurred vision, and worse, I had chest pains and couldn't catch my breath. My face and neck felt hot, my heart rate went up to 110 and I really thought I was dying. I called my doctor the next morning and she agreed I shouldn't take it. I have decided against medicines and will take my herbal remedies, along with potassium and lots of capsicum instead. My blood pressure is way down, I am Blessed to be alive and feeling better. Most of my friends believe that we should take doctor medicine and they think I am very strange and a little crazy, but to each his own. One even said you would probably adjust to it if you would keep taking it. My mother said when, as a teenager I smoked a cigarette and goit sick, that "God was trying to tell me something." I think God was trying to tell me something about Amlodipine.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I had been on amlodipine for over 10 years. I'm very heath conscious so exercising has always been a daily part of my routine. When I first stated taking  amlodipine my ankles became swollen but because I was so active the swelling went away and did not return. As many users have mentioned, the side effects slowly take over so I did not realize that the pain under my left breast was radiating from near my stomach. Other symptoms I've experienced are, knotting in my lower and upper intestine, burning in stomach, neck/shoulder pain, burning in left arm, and in center of chest.  In fact, the pain cause my doctor to think it was my heart so I had a heart cath but there was no problem with my heart. I'm so thankful for this site because I have decided to stop taking the amlodipine (approximately 4 days ago) and now I feel so much better. Most of the symptoms have subsided. I'm taking Perfusia-sr which is supplement I have taken in the past. It's working so far but I'm considering asking my doctor about prescribing Lisinopril. Your problems began immediately so I'm glad to hear your doctor has taken you off. Amlodipine has caused problems for many people.  So happy you discovered before you were on it to long.  

• Posted

Hi Eileen  could you possibly post on here what supplements you take and ie amounts doseage etc . I'm taking Rampiril which I'm told is very similar to Amlodopine . Which I myself was on for several years which after some persuading my GP put me on this other horrid medication . I dread the thought of asking him to change them following his attitude last time I asked for a change . Thanks Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, I have what is probably an unusual mindset about natural supplements because I have been studying them for about twenty-five years. I have never done well with medicines and turned to natural remedies for that reason. I think people need to become empowered to take more control over their own health, the days of the kindly doctor sitting in his/her office discussing health issues with patients is gone. Now it is more likely a five-minute visit talking over a computer. Corporations have taken over the entire medical profession and we better understand that if we want to be well we must become active partners in our health. I take lots of capsicum and garlic and I am not afraid to do so because I know that both of those plants heal at the same time as thinning the blood. I need to be healed and right now I want my blood to flow freely. I am also aware that our bodies work as a whole and if one system is compromised then others are affected. I take lots of vitamins and minerals we don't get them from our food the way we used to and my body needs them All I can say is that you should read all you can about your body and your conditions and research any drug that is prescribed for you so you are completely informed. And Sue, if you're afraid to talk to your doctor about your health questions and concerns, then maybe you need a diferent doctor. Good luck and be blessed.

• Posted

If you can do it naturally and it works, that's a great way to go.  Just remember that most natural medications are also chemicals, just like doctor's medicines.  Things like aspirin are found in a willow branch.  Don't ingest any part of a foxglove plant or it might stop your heart.  If that natural cure solves your problem, go for it, but if it doesn't, just remember, that not all medications are as bad as amlodipine.

• Posted

Hi cpwood, Thanks for your reply, but I don't completely agree with you. It is true that aspirin is from white willow bark, but the supplement derived from white willow is presented as a whole. Natural supplements are whole foods and they have not been stripped of the plant part that renders them safe. There are components of plants that would cause one to vomit if taken in large quantities before they could cause fatalities, not true with aspirin. Some plants do have negative properties in certain  doses: goldenseal has anitbiotic properties, but it also works on the liver and lowers blood sugar, you need to eat take it with food if your sugar is low and not take on a regular basis. Interestingly, most dangerous plants are difficult to obtain; mistletoe is very poisonous, but you'll have to go to a swampy area and climb to the top of a tall tree to get it. So plants are not chemicals, anymore than are blueberries or dandelions. Medicines are chemicals and they generally treat symptoms, not systems. The natural supplement industry has grown to gigantic proportions over the last decade because people are more aware of the side effects of chemicals and they want to be healthy and safe. Keep in mind that the pharmaceutical industry has grown faster than medical knowledge of the side effects and the interactions of drugs.

• Posted

Dear Eileen

I agree with the supplements you're just as good my boss has a mother who's 100 years old she's not on any blood pressure medicine anything but supplements garlique and some other things that keep her going and she's very strong and healthy and I'm leaning toward those things more often

• Posted

Fantastic Eileen,

I was on Ramipril for my high blood pressure, I experienced excruciating pain like I've never felt in my life, I came of the meds, I'm going to try the natural way myself. Makes sense, as doctors meds suppress the system, hence create more diseases in the long term. 👍😁

• Posted

Hello Ms Eileen; I'm one of those 'strange and crazy' individuals who prefers home remedies first before any medicine. I found out yesterday I have high blood pressure. Dr prescribed me Amlodipine 5mg and before I even go buy it, I'm doing research and reading reviews of other people taking it. I cross over your message and here I come to you, can you please share your herbal remedy to low HBP? I would appreciate your response. Thank You!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.