I took the amitriptyline last night, can you guys stay with me today

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I know this is probably silly to a lot of you, but I'm so afraid of meds I just need to stay with you guys for a bit and so I don't panic.  I tool the first amitriptyline lst night, I got tired about 15 mins after taking it but I managed to stay up for a while.  I slept and this morning I'm feeling tired.  I am curious how long does it take for any side effects to happen, you knowthings like vision off, anxiety, headaches, I know its only been one night or even only 12 hrs but I freak out with stuff.  I was a bit panicy driving into work but I get like that most days.  I do have a slight headache and neck tension, could be from worry about the medicine.  They gave the 10mg and I cut it in half coz I didn't want to be groggy all day.  I do have a question tho, how long is it in your system before side effects start?  Also they said I could take xanax if I need it but been reading it can cause more drowsiness.  Does anyone use xanax with it?

I'm sorry to be so worried but I'll probably be here for a few days as I get used to this.  

Thanks for listening and being patient.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey try not to worry too much I'm sure you will be fine I was like this the other week taking propanolol took me a week to take it then stressed after I did but all was fine ( in never usually like that but having a real bad time ) just relax and try not to think about it too much X
    • Posted

HI

Thanks for you reply.  I hope your feeling better on the propanolol.  I am at owrk and hope it keeps my mind off of worrying.  Thanks for istening.

• Posted

No probs we all have days like that I'm off it now i need to fight this by myself 👌🏻keeping busy helps my mind goes into overdrive when I'm not busy
  • Posted

I'm the same way about meds, I always cut mine in half because I'm so afraid of the side effects. I usually notice side effects that next morning when I wake up, hang in there smile
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

THanks for listening.  Its to bad we have to be so afraid of meds, but when you think about it all you hear are the died effects of meds.  Like watching tv a commercial and they meds have the worst side effects.  so I suppose some of us are more prone to the thinking most meds have awful effects.  I also thought if  i was going to have effects if would be the enxt day, but who knows.  

Thank you for being here.

• Posted

I love having a place to come to discuss issues with people that know what your going through!! It kinda gives a piece of mind knowing your not alone!!
    • Posted

its wonderful having a place to talk with others who understand.  Dizziness is a tough cookie and having anxiety with it makes it so much worse, at least it has for me.  I really hope this med helps, I don't like taking meds but I guess there comes a point where the vicous cycle just won't let up.  I've had GAD for many years, but normally I don't even notice it, but when the dizziness hit me, wow I got slammed all the way around.  

I hope things are going well for you.

• Posted

I think you'll be fine. I took ami to help with sleep. This was during the time that my dizziness was controlled with propranolol. I took 10 mg at night. Unfortunately it did not help my sleep (which is not normal). Made me drowsy and relaxed, felt good, but still couldn't sleep.

Anyway, the "worst" I felt was first thing in the morning, when I was a bit fuzzy. But that wasn't bad at all, abd it went away pretty quickly. I didn't get more side effects, except dry mouth.

If ur too drowsy in morning, I would say take it earlier in eve, unless it puts u to sleep to early. Maybe stay on 5mg a wk or so, then go to 10 when u don't have to work/drive the next morning.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the advise.  I thought I would definitly try in at the 10mg level on a weekend, cause i don't want to be out of it and driving.  I'm seeing a lot of people are having good results with it.  Im hopeful it helps with the anxiety and depression which I hope helps with the dizziness.  The ENT says the anxiety needs to get more handled and thinks it will help with the dizziness as i won't be paniced and afraid when i get it.  I know most people with dizziness or inner ear things and MAV have anxiety but this is just to much.  i hope seeing the psychologist this week can help me to get to the bottom of the anxiety and learn to better handle it.

• Posted

Hi I am the same with meds after trying a handful of Antidepressants I got so many side effects including losing 25 lbs in 4 months. Was a zombie. I haven't tried amytriptline yet but too scared of any new med now. Waiting for weekend or holiday to start anything new so don't have to go out. I have gad too. It's so much to bear.
  • Posted

Hiya don't ever feel silly about your condition or the meds that you are taking. The pain or the feelings that we get are real nether more you worry and stress yourselfoutthe worse you will feel.  To try something new or to drop a medication takes courage.  We are all frightened to do t at sometime, for me to start a new med I go to pieces right after reading the leaflet that comes in the box with the meds that tells you about the side effects and to drop a medication I think I will do it the next day well that next day takes about 2 weeks o happen !      So take a deep breath, breath calmly and do it. If you can't don't beat yourself up do it the very next day . Prepare yourself and do it. Cut the pill in 1/2 if you have to.   Don't feel silly.  Stick with us all we'll all get you there. Have a good night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.