I u d worries

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have had the mirena coil (iud) fitted a week ago. Now I worried it was a mistake, I have tried every pill cause of my age and weight this is the last thing to try. I'm over the fitting and biopsy.

I have read since this can have a side afferct of weight gain. I'm overweight to begin with, the things I've read not here is people haven't changed their eating habbits,go to the gym and the pounds pile on.

When I went to the family planning clinic the professional I saw told me no contraception makes a weight gain happen, its what is put in your mouth that does it. Can anyone tell me their view or experience please.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi loopy lou, 

The professional at the family planning clinic is right, there is no conclusive link between contraception and weight gain. We only tend to hear the negative aspects of medications because noone raves about a contraception that does it's job and works well. In your circumstances you should probably give it a good try for at least 6 months so that your body can get used to it and then make a decision from there. 

I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Hi Loopy lou,  I would guess that reading other people's comments makes you anxious and then you eat and that will make you pile on the pounds!

The professional who told you that it is what you put in your mouth that causes the weight gain, is absolutley right.

Don't worry and ignore everyone else!   Often, when people feel hungry, it is actually because they are thirsty and need a drink of water - not a fizzy drink full of sugar because that will add pounds.

• Posted

I think if there is something about a birth control pill that contributes to weight gain, you've already experienced it.  So, if mirena has hormones...well...so did the pills you were on. The delivery shouldn't make a difference. 

You can always try keeping notes/diary of what you eat. You can see if you have a larger appetite and are eating more...or if you just find the prescription to slow your metabolism (but again, so would the others you took if there is something contributing). And, then you can either restrict/change what you eat or you can up your movement (or exercise if you go to a gym) to be sure that you're not adding weight.

And, only you know this for sure, but do you NEED an IUD/BCPs?  There are other ways, either permanent or barrier (condom) that prevent pregnancy or help family planning and don't change your hormone levels.

• Posted

Hi there,this is a mess, I had a bartholoms abscess and i will probably get more so if I undergo an operation for that I will be sterilised. My other half days he would have the snip but what I felt at the start of my biopsy I wouldn't want that for him meaning the local anisetic,which I. Had for the coil fitting. Also im very unlucky with condoms. Thank you for your honesty. X
  • Posted

Hi if your problems aren't related to JHS then you will be fine on the coil. Weight gain could be caused by over eating or perhaps either not eating the correct foods such as fruit, salad, white meat, fish, too much starch, too much sugar. It may also be due to not enough exercise. I would have a chat with your GP clinic nurse they may be running a weight loss clinic. Swimming is excellent exercise or a good long walk. 
  • Posted

I had a Merina coil in for five years, due to very heavy periods, and it didn't effect my weight. It was actually a godsend. But you have to give it about six months to settle down and use its full potential.
    • Posted

Just wondered if you know wether a tampon can be used with the mirena in. Also I don't know if I'm spotting or having a period. I have had stomach cramps but that can happen anyway I believe I the early days. Thanks
    • Posted

Unless your GP has told you otherwise, then it's fine. Though somewhere in the back of my mind i think my Doc may have said not to use tampons for the first month. If anyone can verify this that would be great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.