I used to be on ESA and it has been taken from me because I have savings over a certain amount.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Also the government are taking away some of my savings which I can't do anything about. I haven't had any help to find work so I can't make progress and I'm still in mental health supported housing which is in a rough area with a faulty building. I saved up a fair amount of money in hope of a small house and a part time job to go with my savings as I am in my forties and I think it's ridiculous the way I've been treated by the government.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to the club you can't do any thing I had to get rid off all mine one big joke

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately when you claim a means tested benefit like ESA, housing benefit and council tax reduction any savings over £6,000 will affect your benefits £1 for every £250 over this amount. For saving of £16,000 and over then you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits at all. It's the rules i'm afraid and there's nothing we can do about this.

• Posted

Hi Denise I thought that if your claim for Esa and its contribution paid any savings you have will not effect your benefits am I right?
    • Posted

I meant to also say that it applies if your in the support group as well
    • Posted

Hi,

Contributions based isn't affected by any savings/capital. Being in the support group doesn't mean a person is claiming Contributions based. They can be claiming Income Related, Contributions based or Contributions based with an Income Related top up. If a person isn't sure which one they're claiming then they should either check a recent award letter and if they're still unsure then ring ESA and ask. If person is living with a partner that works then they are definitely claiming Contributions based.

• Posted

Hi Denise that you for the clarification i still haven't had a decision after my assessment but as soon as I do I will let you know on my feed

• Posted

No worries. Good luck with yours. I'm just filling in my ESA50 form myself, worrying times for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.