I've applied for SSI or ssdi

Posted , 3 users are following.

i had applied for disablity, they said i didnt work enough and that my husband makes too much for the other. but i did qualify. but i cant get a check because of his income. where or who do i turn to for help? i do have an attorney, whom i havent heard from yet. at this point im lost and dont know what to do. i cant go back to work , im still waiting for two moresurgeries on lower back and neck.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted

    This forum is based in the UK and your question is about disability is US so i'm afraid i can't advise you with anything because i have no knowledge with anything on the other side of the pond.

    • Posted

      Hi Denise.

      sorry to jump in on your reply, i have the exact same problem in uk. Although i now have PIP there is no other help or financial support for me due to my partner working. is there something i have not done correctly that you could advise me on.

      Thank you.

  • Posted


    i have just come across your question . did you get your situation solved? I have the exact same problem. I Couldn't get any help anywhere. I am in uk so i know its slightly different. I understand your situation its so frustrating.

    • Posted

      Your situation is very different to Sarah's because they're not living in the UK. SSI or SSDI are nothing to do with UC benefits, they're US benefits.

      Universal Credit (UC) has replaced all the old legacy benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Support and tax credits. You will need to claim this as a couple if you live together. Entitlement will be based on your joint circumstances. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.

      If your PIP includes the daily living part and your partner cares for you for at least 35 hours per week then they will be entitled to carers element of UC, which will increase your maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. Your partners earnings will reduce your UC by 55% if you don't have the work allowance, if you have no dependant children you will not have the work allowance. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

      Other than that the only other benefit will be New style ESA but to be entitled to payments for this you will have needed to have worked and paid your NI contributions in tax years 2020/21 and 2021/22. If you haven't worked in those tax years you won't be entitled to any payments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.