I've been advised of a treatment to help Labrynthitis but not sure what it is called?

Posted , 7 users are following.

A family member has suffered with chronic Labrynthitis since Christmas and still has severe hearing loss. I have been told that there is a treatment whereby you lay on a table that moves vertically/horizontally/all different ways that then tricks the brain/hearing and the hearing is restored but I'm not sure what it is called, if it is true and whether you can request this via a GP...  Please could anyone advise or assist??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes there is. It's vistibular rehab therapy.

eply maneuver and others. I'm waiting to see an ENT but yes. Get a referral to a ENT and they could help you.

• Posted

Thank you - I will suggest that. Thank you for your response smile
  • Posted

If only there was such a thing loads of us still wouldnt be dizzy !! 6 yr for me

There are various tests that a balance clinic or consultant can do an epley that hangs the head off the back of the bed if you have BPPV there is a test were you lay down and the table is tilted and eye movement is watched but nothing that will do what you have mentioned.

There is VRT to help re train the brain so physio for the vestibular system this will help as will time.

• Posted

Ah - perhaps the info I was given was slightly exaggerated..... Thank you so much for your advice - this sounds promising and I will pass on.
  • Posted

Yes they have many exercises I do 2 a day and been dizzy for 7 weeks now but am getting better.yje one epley manever and there's plenty on u tube! With time you do get better and patience!
  • Posted

There are a couple of manouvres, like the epley and I think there's one called sermont but they generally only work, or so I understand, for moving stray crystals out of the ear canal in someone who has bppv. Labrynthitis is inflamation not crystals.

I dont think these movements would restore hearing.

An normal gp should be able to do the manoeuvres, mine did when I had bppv.

Hearing loss should be investigated by a good ent Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.