I've been ameic for five years. Is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 19 year old female and I've been anemic ever since I was 14. I'm tired of taking iron supplemts that work one minuet then the next minuet they don't. I stopped taking them weeks ago.

Does it sound like I need an iron infusion?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

does your Dr. know why it keeps dropping? I have the same problem. mine is from excessively heavy menstrual cycles. my hematologist suggested I talk to my Gyno about having a cervical ablation. which is where they basically laser burn the outer lining so you will have very light periods. due to other problems my Gyno said I was not a good candidate for this. an iron infusion would get you back to a normal range but you'd still have to tak the pills afterwards to keep you there. I have been seeing a hematologist for 6 years now. she checks me every three months and just now has she thought an iron infusion would help. I'm not sure if they use that as a last resort or what.  I would talk to your Dr. about it. good luck
    • Posted

It doesn't seem like my doctor knows why my iron levels keep dropping, and I have no idea either. I use birth control for my periods, which i no longer have, and they were making me anemic in the first place.

I would think that my iron levels would go back up since I'm not losing iron from my periods because I don't have periods.

• Posted

I won't have a problem taking the iron pills after getting an iron fusion.

I'm confused... my mom used to get iron infusions all the time, and she no longer has to take iron supplements. She has heavy periods though.

I'm the opposite- i don't have periods, but I'm still anemic.

• Posted

Heavy periods are the main culprit for anemia in girls and women within teen and childbearing ages. If you don't have periods and are still anemic I would definitely have your dr. Investigate why. Sometimes you can have a tear in your intestinal tract that would cause anemia after so long but generally you'll notice black tarry stools. Also the way your body absorbs the iron in foods, if it doesn't absorb properly over time that too can cause it. You really should have your dr.  Find out why. 
    • Posted

I'm going to call her today and make an appointment. You're so right btw!! i hope there's no tear or anything, and my stools are brown like they're supposed to be, so that should be reassuring. thanks!!
  • Posted

Hi lea, iron infusions are used as an emergency fix when iron levels are drastically low. Like you I'm on supplements but when I stop taking them my levels drop. I'm now taking steps to get tested for food intolerances as this can cause your body not to absorb nutrients properly.

Can I ask if you suffer with heavy periods?

• Posted

Just saw the bit about your periods! I think your doctor needs to seriously investigate why you don't have them!!
    • Posted

And again just re read it!! Sorry!!  Some of the symtoms of anaemia are similar to symtoms of food intolerance. Fatigue, headaches, and just generally feeling unwell. Main culprits are diary, wheat gluten etc. Defo an avenue you may want to look into!  
    • Posted

Hi, Sarah

I don't get periods because of birth control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.