I've been anxious for two months and counting, please help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a sophomore in college, 19, and my anxiety started to kick in towards the beginning of September and continued on. So this past Friday I went to the doctor and he said we should try counseling. And so I asked about meds and counseling and he was fine with it.

He prescribed me with Citalopram 10 mg. I took it last night at 11 and fell asleep immediately.. then what felt like hours! It was only 1 in the morning... I was anxious, jittery, nauseous, confused, my heart was racing.

I didn't fall back asleep till 5 in the morning but even then it wasn't a peaceful sleep. And now here at almost 2 o'clock.. I feel still jittery (not as bad), nauseous (trying to eat some crackers), and my brain just kinda feels weird.

When will this go away? I'm not taking it again tonight.

And would counseling help better?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed Citalpham during my last anxiety episode. I had to take a 2 week absence from work just to cope with the anxiety and the new meds. I am not sure if it was the meds or just time along with couseling that helped me recover from that episode but it took months. I have recently had another bout of anxiety and was given zoloft which also made me extremely sick.woke me up at 1 vomiting and extremely jittery and anxiety was through the roof. I stopped taking it. I am still struggling but hoping time will heal all and also doing yoga and couseling to see if that helps move things along. Best of luck, you are not alone.
    • Posted

I took them for 3 days and finally called it quits. It took a day to get out of my system. I still however struggle with anxiety.
  • Posted

Hello! I don't have personal experience with this medication, however I've heard from others on this forum that your symptoms are quite common after starting it. Eventually things should get better, but it might take a bit. You could go back to your GP if it gets worse and ask about other options. Sorry to hear you're anxiety has been so bad. sad Feel better friend. 

xx 

• Posted

Give the drug upwards of four to five weeks to work. Your GP may up the dose next time He sees you

You will possibly suffer side effects that will get less as you proceed with the drug.

Everyone is different

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.