I ve been anxious with BP machine for 3 years what should do

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i had anxiety when i was doing my national service in 2012. I worked in a News room and anytime i get to office i fill very nervous and tense and this went on for a while till i completed the service. After the service i felt sick and went to the hospital. Before i started working at the broadcoasting corperation i have always recorded normal readings anytime i visit the hospital. But after that, when i visited the hospital the doctor said my bp is high. Since that day, anytime i visit hospitals and just seeing bp machines the feeling get soo terrified and the reading shoot up. please what should i do. Because i have stop going to the hospital even when i am sick because i am afriad my bp will ready high

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey man,

I've had this issue since February. Always have high readings at the doctors but I have great readings at home. It doesn't really worry me anymore since only prolonged high bp causes issues. There's really not much to do other than facr your fears and get in your head that you are fine and that this is all in your head. Anxiety is crazy and can cause so many things. I'm still trying to figure it out as well.

• Posted

I agree with Swaggdalu at to advice.

I do want to say that I got so tired of trying 12 BP meds all with bad side effects, that I refused any more meds. I  had been 230/120 for months, but didn't care anymore. I just refused to care and drive myself crazy. I truly said f..k it, I've had enough. The very next week I had an appointment for something else. For the first time, I didn't ask what the numbers were when the nurse took BP...did not care! The doctor came in and said, I see your BP is way down.....amazed, I said, it is?. Sure enough, it was normal. I have no idea what or how this story will help you, but Caleb, I swear it is the truth.

• Posted

Cia,

I'm looking to get of BP meds as well. It also helps with my fast heart rate. I'm just scared that's the only thing holding me from falling apart. But I check my BP and it's way below normal so that's awesome. My heart rate is always steady. I'm just scared of the withdrawals. I have a stress test tomorrow so if they say my heart is okay I'm deffinanlty going to try to get of them as I hate medicine. It's just not good for your body. Did you have any withdrawals?

• Posted

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I am on an anxiety med that I just love. No side effects, feel normal most of the time, a little dry mouth occasionslly If I have to take this the rest of my life....fine with me.

One of the side effects of this anxiety med, is that it can lower blood pressure. The doctor believes that when I tossed aside all anxiety about blood pressure, that part of the med for anxiety jumped in and worked.

Whatever the reason. this med is great for me.

If your BP is below normal, I don't know why your doctor isn't lowering your BP meds. I was told that if mine now kept going down, doc would have to lower the anxiety med, as it's BP side effect might be too much now.

If you are on a beta blocker BP med....do not stop cold turkey. It is not something you want to experience. You really ought to have this whole conversation with your doctor....especially if you are considering going off. Ask him about reducing dosage, Honey

• Posted

Yeah I'm not planning on stopping cold turkey. I am on a low dose of bystolic 5mg. It worked wonders at the beggining. But I don't think I need them. Maybe I did at the beggining but idk about now. I've read the scary withdrawals or beta blockers but I believe this is for people with actual heart problems which I've been told I don't have [we will see what else the Dr says tomorrow] but you are right. I'll probably schedule and appointment and ask after all tests are done.

• Posted

Good idea, my friend.

I have no heart problems. I was told to come off the low dose of 50mg of Metoprolol...just stop. Let me tell you.....within three days I was in Urgent Care diagnosed with anxiety disorder...brought on by doing that. So I am here with this anxiety today because of coming off a low dose of a beta blocker cold turkey almost four months ago....and....it may be with me from now on. So, I put out a STRONG warning to anyone ....don't do it. Taper off like one would a benzo or even heroin addict in a detox clinic.

• Posted

Wow kinda scared that you compared it to heroin now. Lol. Hopefully all goes well. If you don't risk it you'll get nowhere I guess

• Posted

Didn't mean to scare you at all, Honey. Just trying to really drive home the point of tapering.

A couple of years ago, I was on Lorazepam for sleep. When .5 mgs became 2.25 to sleep, I realized it would keep going up, so decided to take myself off. I did it slowly over four months with very little distress.

I used to, as part of my profession, help out with people coming off legal and illegal drugs. it was a slow tapering process, a little different for each person. If they stayed with the taper, it was relaively painless, but could take quite awhile.

Many BP meds can just be dropped and you are fine.....a  beta blocker is not one of those. Educating ourselves about what we are taking is important. if I had known then that Metp[rolol was a beta blocker, I would have not let the doctor just take me off....but she didn't tell me and I didn't ask. Now, I ask.

• Posted

get a bp machine and take your bp at home if hospitals make you nervous.
    • Posted

Eve if i am texting it at home, just seeing the bp machine terrifies me and my heart start to beat faster then finally high reading. last time was 180/90. i dont know how to deal with this. because now the fear keeps me worry about the future and gradually lowering my self confidence.
    • Posted

I should go out for walks to try and lower the blood pressure over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.