I've been dealing with IBS symptoms for over a year. Starting to get scared

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

So, I'm 25 years old and I've been having trouble with IBS type symptoms since Dec 2019. Trouble going to the toilet and straining and problems going to the toilet after eating food, as well as mild cramping throughout the day and then sevre cramping when needing the toilet after eating.

I've been in touch with my doctor in late 2020 and they didn't really give me any diagnosis or insight. The problems have been going on for months and only now have I been able to get in touch with a doctor who is wanting to give me a blood test and stool sample. I seem to be constantly in pain these days and sometimes the abdominal pain is so bad. I've tried almost everything to ease this including changing my diet, cutting out dairy and low fodmap, not much seems to be working. I'm now working myself up and thinking it could be something more serious. (bad I know) I was hoping someone had some tips and if anyone is experiencing the same type of symptoms/constant pain.

I also grt quite a lot of headaches but I've had regular headaches since I was 8.

any insight or help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

hi amy, oh dear, it sounds like you've been through the mill! has anyone mentioned firstly seeing an optician about your eyes but equally a dietician about your diet? rather than just cutting things out try speaking to someone first. can i ask if you react worse or better after certain foods. does bread for instance make you feel worse? try cooking only fresh Mediterranean ingredients and watching every foodstuff you have to see if you react to any of them! you may find your answer before a doctor does. insist on more tests and ask if your deficient in any vitamins and minerals for instance. stress will make your head feel awful and pain in your neck and shoulders. it could be anything really i am no expert but i have learnt to push doctors when you feel unwell. you know your body the best, nobody else does.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it. I feel like I definitely react worse to eating fast food or food that's super greasy, but it's hard to tell. I feel like the pain recently has definitely been triggered by stress but it's difficult not to be stressed when you literally have no idea what's going on with your body.

Sometimes I feel completely fine and then other times I feel like I've been hit by a truck and can't get off the toilet.

I'm hoping that my blood test and stool sample will give me a little bit of insight as to what is going on. I'll be sure to ask the doctor about deficiencies.

• Posted

i hope someone tells you what you have and don't leave it like my doctors did. they told me i had IBS, i thought because it was so severe it was cancer! i didn't know and only discovered what this was when i swapped doctors surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.